Hole in the Wall Canyon ( Grotto Canyon) (Banshee Canyon)

Hole in the Wall Canyon ( Grotto Canyon) (Banshee Canyon)

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 35.04359°N / 115.39919°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The canyon is in the Mojave National Preserve, which is located in the Mojave Desert in Southern California, USA. It lies between Interstate 15 and Interstate 40. Elevation ranges from 880 to 7,492 ft (270 to 2,280 m). The preserve was established October 31, 1994.

The volcanic rock formations in the Hole in the Wall area make this a popular recreation site. Favorite activities in the area include camping, picnicking and hiking. Rock climbing on the volcanic rocks is not recommended because of their crumbly nature. Fall and spring are the most popular seasons for camping, with winter and summer providing variable weather conditions and temperatures.

Over millions of years, eruptions spewed layers of lava and ash over this area. Uneven cooling and gases captured during the eruption, formed "holes " in the rock. Erosion has enlarged these holes to create spectacular caverns. The oxidation of iron in this volcanic material lends a contrasting reddish color to the gray background.

The volcanic flows and surrounding land were eventually altered by the action of wind and rain transforming the original landscape to what you see today. The small table topped plateaus (mesas) are isolated remnants of these flows and show the powerful forces of erosion.


Getting There and Trails

Directions

to Mojave National Preserve:
From I-15
Exit on Kelbaker Road at Baker, California, or at Cima Road, Nipton Road, or Zzyzx Road.

From I-40
Exit on Kelbaker Road, Essex Road, or Goffs Road.

Directions to Hole-in-the-Wall:
From I-40
Exit at Essex Road and drive north 10 miles to the junction with Black Canyon Road. Hole-in-the-Wall is 10 miles north on Black Canyon Road.

Trails:


Hole-in-the-Wall Nature Trail - O.5 miles round trip.
Trailhead: Hole-in-the-Wall Information Center and Campground.
Markers help novice botanists identify a variety of plants along this trail.

Rings Trail - O.5 mile round trip.
Trailhead: at the picnic area 0.2 miles northwest of the Hole-in-the-Wall Information Center. Connects to the Mid-Hills to Hole-in-the-Wall Trail.
According to an 1800s legend, Indians eluded ranchers as they descended down the Canyon and disappeared from view. Now you can follow their footsteps with the help of metal rings mounted in the rock.

Mid Hills to Hole-in-the-Wall Trail - 8 miles one way.
Trailheads: The north end is at the entrance to Mid Hills Campground; the south end is about 1 mile west of Black Canyon Road on the south end of Wild Horse Canyon Road.
In June 2005, the Hackberry Fires swept through the area. Watch carefully for route markers as you ascend to 1,200 feet, hiking through washes of barrel and cholla cactus.

Red Tape

No permits required for hiking or parking.
For Camping see below.

Camping

Hole-in-the-Wall Campground

Facilities
vault toilets, trash receptacles, potable water, fire rings, pinic tables, dump station; no utility hookups.

Fees
$12 per site per night, $6 for America the Beautiful Senior/Access Pass holders.

Reservations
Not accepted; Campsites available on a first-come, first-served basis.

At 4,400 feet in elevation, Hole-in-the-Wall Campground is surrounded by sculptured volcanic rock walls and makes a great basecamp for hikers and for exploring nearby Mitchell Caverns in the Providence Mountains State Recreation Area. Thirty-five campsites accommodate RVs and tents; two walk-in sites are also available.

External Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_National_Preserve
http://www.nps.gov/moja/
http://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/MOJA/HW_Loop/_HW_Loop.htm

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
tarol

tarol - Dec 4, 2008 9:17 am - Voted 10/10

Banshee Canyon

This canyon is also called Banshee Canyon and the lava rock that comprises the walls is called rhyolite

straydog5

straydog5 - Dec 4, 2008 5:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Banshee Canyon

Yes, I saw that name on the internet as well. I couldn't figure out, what is its actual name. I found three names for it: Hole in the wall canyon Grotto canyon Banshee Canyon Which is the real name of the canyon? Or does it have 3 names? Do you know?

tarol

tarol - Dec 5, 2008 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Banshee Canyon

I've seen Banshee Canyon more than the other two names, but I don't know which was the first or real name.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.