Home of Huachuca Agave?

Home of Huachuca Agave?

Along Arizona's Soldier Pass Trail (at nearly 4,550 ft in elevation,) the observer will come across several types of desert plants. The shapely agave (uh-gah-vay) plant has long been cultivated in hilly, semi-arid soils of Mexico. Its fleshy leaves cover the pineapple-shaped heart of the plant, which contains a sweet sticky juice. Ancient Mexicans considered the plant to be sacred. They believed the liquid from this plant purified the body and the soul. When the Spaniards arrived, they took the juices from the agave and fermented them, leading to the drink we now call tequila. But, there's a more interesting USE for this historic plant. Agave syrup (or nectar) is about 90% fructose. Only recently has it come into use as a sweetener. It has a low glycemic level and is a delicious and safe alternative to table sugar. "It can be most useful for people who are diabetic, have insulin resistance (Syndrome X), or are simply watching their carbohydrate intake." [Source: Lynn Stephens - 2005] This species of agave is known as Parry's or Huachuca agave. Photo taken 03-11-09, about 3/4-miles up the Soldier Pass Trail.
lcarreau
on Mar 18, 2009 7:49 pm
Image Type(s): Hiking,  Flora,  Informational,  Scenery
Image ID: 499098

Comments

No comments posted yet.