Huckleberry Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.57940°N / 73.96254°W
Additional Information County: Warren
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2435 ft / 742 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

View of HuckleberryHuckleberry's cliffs from Crane Mountain


Huckleberry Mt is a beautiful little mountain in the southern Adirondacks. It's biggest problem is most of it is on private land and permission must be obtained to get to it. Only the NW corner falls into public land. At present most of it is unposted but times are changing and it probably will be or has been posted since my last visit.

How the mountain makes up for its height is the spectacular cliffs that adorn the south and southwest face. The ridge is very open and the ridge walk is a mile and a half.

Between this mountain and its much larger neighbor Crane Mountain is the ruins of an old abandoned paint mine called the Paint Beds or Paint Mines. In the last 1800's this area had a flourishing paint mine that produced the dark red paint which was used locally to paint barns and other buildings. The pits and building foundations can still be found.

Getting There

Little MountainHuckleberry's View to Little Mountain


To reach the parking area from Rt 8 in Johnsburgh take South Johnsburgh Road south. Drive 1.1 miles and turn right on Hudson Street. Continue 2.3 more miles to the parking area on the left side of the road. The area is large enough for several vehicles. This is the same parking lot used to access the Paint Mine Ruins.

The area in the past has had heavy logging so many areas that have grown back are still rich with tangles, briars, ruts, and other obstacles. Leaving the parking area and traveling along Paintbed Brook continue almost due south keeping east of the brook until you start climbing to the ridgeline. Once on the ridgeline the hiking is easy to follow.

Red Tape

Most of the area is private land and permission should be obtained before hiking. No camping is allowed without permission.

Since there is no maintained trail and it is mostly private land, do not climb this without permission or without a map. My directions to the parking lot are true, the directions from the parking lot to the summit are very vague since hiking this mountain should be done at your own discression and with your own route finding experience.

I have tried to track down who the current owners are. However tax maps show about 15 parcels across the mountain and areas accessing it. None of the area is developed and most is not posted but it is not public land. Years ago when we hiked it my Father knew the owners from our route but times have changed.

According to the ADK trail guide, hiking is allowed but posting may eventually occur. The latest tax map even shows a hiking trail from tehe parking area to the Paint Beds.




Camping

No camping allowed without owners permission.

External Links

Most of the information for public use of this mountain can be found in the Adirondack Mountains Clubs Guide to Adirondack Trails:SOUTHERN REGION . This guide also includes a map.

NY State Department of Environmental Conservation


ADK (Adirondack Mountain Club)


Adirondack Forum