Upper Wolf Jaw Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14830°N / 73.8331°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4185 ft / 1276 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The twenty-ninth highest peak in the Adirondacks but one peak you can easily walk right by. The top is mostly tree covered but a few side trails lead to differing lookouts witch offers great views of the differing valleys and peaks that surround it.

An interesting feature of this peak is it dramatic false summit. After a rather steep climb one pops up to a nearly flat plateau with a great view all around. Unfortunately that actual peak is about 500m further down the trail and actually 10m off it.

Usualy less crowded that the other peaks since most hikers just take a quick look and then move on.

A good spot for lunch when making a day trip to Gothics.



Getting There


The parking lot at Keen valley at the John’s Brook trail head is the usual starting point. An alternate start is the Roster Comb parking lot on i73 where you can the new trail that links to the trail that traverses Lower Wolf Jaw and the Upper.

Red Tape


Normal restictions apply

Just watch out for parking in Keen Valley. The lot fills quickly and there is no parking allowed in the street. Your car will be towed. In the summer there is a shuttle bus from Keen Valley airport to the trailhead.

As of June 30th, 2001 all parties regardless of size in the Eastern Zone (High Peaks) of the Park must fill in and possess a self-issuing "trip ticket," which may be obtained at the trailhead. People have been fined and turned around for not having one and at the more popular trailheads the Ranger on duty will not let you pass without one. This can cause some delays in getting onto the trail.

When To Climb


Any season is good. But it is a long walk in and out so day trippers should be prepared to stay the night if the weather turns bad.

Camping


Normal Adirondack restrictions.

1) No Camping above 4,000 feet
2) No camping withing 150 feet of a stream or other water source except at a designated campsite.
3) No soap or washing withing 150 feet of water
4) Pack it in Pack it out is the rule for garbage
5) Only dead and down wood can be used for fires and set in a proper fire pit. ( local etiquette is to use a stove and not a fire)

Mountain Conditions


Some good sites:

ADk 46ers
Adirondack Hiking Portal


What's in a Name


The peak, or better the pair of peaks, (Upper & Lower Wolf Jaw) were named in sometime in 1869-72 when Alexander Wyant, a well known artist of the time, painted the peaks and stated the deep col between two suggested a great pair of Wolf Jaws.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.