Ibo Alfaro Spur

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 28.17951°N / 17.19965°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Steep hike with protection
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

TeideTenerife as seen from the Ibo Alfaro Spur

The eastern ascent to Lomo Gordo is one of the most interesting routes on La Gomera. It follows an old camino which climbs a spur in the east face of the mesa. The camino is very steep and winds its way along the ledges which form little terrasses on the steep slope. In some short sections the trail is protected by ropes.

By hiking standards the Ibo Alfaro route is rather strenuous and difficult. In winter it can be climbed in the morning but during the other seasons you should wait until the east face is hidden in the evening shadows. Don't try to do it during the noon hours since there is almost no protection from the sun.

Getting There

Ibo AlfaroIbo Alfaro and the upper Barranco de Monteforte

See the main page for the itinerary from San Sebastian de La Gomera to Hermigua. Just before you reach the big church of the little town there is a parking lot to the left (east) of the main road TF-711.

Route Description

Basalt pillarsOn the ledges which lead through the Lomo Gordo east face

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 150m
      - Summit altitude: 683m
      - Prevailing exposure: E
      - Type: 2-3h
      - Protection: Short protected sections
  • Effort: 600m elevation gain
  • Power: 3 - Strenuous
  • Psyche: 2 - A bit exposed in some places
  • Orientation: 1 - Marked and easy

    From the centre of Hermigua follow the main road TF-711 upwards (south) until you reach a bana packaging plant. Pass it and right behind it turn right and follow the signs for Juego de Bolas (visitors centre). At first you follow a road which after a couple of hundred metres turns right while the path heads straight on, cutting short a turn of the road. Passing some private houses you soon reach the road which heads up to the village of Ibo Alfaro, which you follow for another couple of hundred metres.

    In the village another sign leads you left, directly heading for the big spur in the Lomo Gordo east face. You leave the village behind, climb across a water channel and then head out on the old camino which climbs towards the Lomo Gordo plateau on top. The climb is very steep at first following the direct line of the spur. After a while it turns left onto a colourful ledge, the first of about a dozen which will lead you to the top.

    The ledges are connected by steep climbing sections wherever you come to one of the turns, some of which are protected by ropes. About two thirds up you pass a big cave, a good resting place, especially in warm weather. Behind the cave the route gets more shallow and you soon start to get out of the face, makingit to the plateau on top. There are deep ruts which cut through the plateau, revealing the colourful tuff soil beneath the surface.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear and lots of water.

  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.