Illabot Peaks Comments

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Interesting mountain that has been on TV. Has a twofold finish.
Posted Sep 28, 2004 12:41 am

Brian JenkinsUntitled Comment

Brian Jenkins

Nice page. Thanks for the email about what happened on this one.
Posted Sep 28, 2004 2:18 am

Joseph BulloughUntitled Comment

Joseph Bullough

Nicely done.
Posted Sep 28, 2004 8:30 am

DeanUntitled Comment

OK, I never get tired of prominence peaks. Nice job.
Posted Sep 28, 2004 9:02 am

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Nice.

We were in the area last Saturday and were wondering why so many people were hiking the FS road at midnight on Friday?? Now I know.
Posted Sep 28, 2004 12:46 pm

KlenkeUntitled Comment

Klenke

In the area? To climb what, pray tell?
Posted Sep 28, 2004 1:12 pm

rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Dreamer on Green Giant Butt.

....late arrival at TH, late start....did not finish :(
Posted Sep 28, 2004 1:34 pm

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Excellent page! Looks like a beautiful place! have a good one!

-Britt
Posted Sep 28, 2004 10:32 pm

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

Nice informative page again, Paul!
Posted Sep 29, 2004 9:58 am

OBIJUANKENOBI71Untitled Comment

OBIJUANKENOBI71

Good page!!!

Juan
Posted Sep 29, 2004 6:35 pm

ericnoelIllabot

ericnoel

This article is fairly thorough in covering the adventure race fatality. It might be worth linking to.

Based on the photos, I think that they were descending the gully between the two summits but I am not sure of this. Certainly they did not go down via the same route we used.
Posted Jul 18, 2010 9:41 pm

KlenkeRe: Illabot

Klenke

Thanks for the link, Eric. As you can see from climbing that peak, it's not a pushover for scrambling on.

The pictures in the article bring back memories--especially the one of them all at the top since I was standing there too maybe 90 minutes before them.

I think they were descending a south-facing gully after having come up from the basin on the north and then with the idea to proceed southward to the next check station. I did not come up that gully that the accident occurred in (my gully was a lot more brushy and probably west of their gully). In fact, here is a picture of the south face of the peak. Two gullies are visible. The accident gully was likely the major one left of center. My ascent gully was the brushy one left of it left of the turret of rock at the ridge crest.

All I can say about the accident scene is these guys were way too spread out for such a chossy gully. Anyone who climbs knows you need to stay close together in these things. Plus, of course, they were not wearing helmets. I certainly question the decision to make the summit of Illabot Peaks a checkstation for such a race. Bad things can happen when you're in a race with teams in pursuit and therefore rushing (doing things) you wouldn't do otherwise and cliffy Illabot is not a place for that.

Paul
Posted Jul 19, 2010 2:46 am

ericnoelRe: Illabot

ericnoel

Right, I think they came down the wider gully that is a bit E of the brushy gully that you and I used.

They certainly made some questionable choices. The routefinding is debateable, the spacing was poor and they needed helmets.

I concur on Illabot being a poor choice. In one of the numerous articles about it that I skimmed, one of the racers pointed out that many of the racers would have been on the Illabot section of the course at night as they generally race 24 hours a day. To pick that peak for a situation where some folks would be on it with just a headlamp is insane.
Posted Jul 20, 2010 1:00 pm