Illabot Peaks Comments

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
desainme

desainme - Sep 28, 2004 12:41 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Interesting mountain that has been on TV. Has a twofold finish.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 28, 2004 2:18 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page. Thanks for the email about what happened on this one.

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Sep 28, 2004 8:30 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nicely done.

Dean

Dean - Sep 28, 2004 9:02 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

OK, I never get tired of prominence peaks. Nice job.

rpc

rpc - Sep 28, 2004 12:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice.

We were in the area last Saturday and were wondering why so many people were hiking the FS road at midnight on Friday?? Now I know.

Klenke

Klenke - Sep 28, 2004 1:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

In the area? To climb what, pray tell?

rpc

rpc - Sep 28, 2004 1:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Dreamer on Green Giant Butt.

....late arrival at TH, late start....did not finish :(

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Sep 28, 2004 10:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Excellent page! Looks like a beautiful place! have a good one!

-Britt

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Sep 29, 2004 9:58 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice informative page again, Paul!

OBIJUANKENOBI71

OBIJUANKENOBI71 - Sep 29, 2004 6:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page!!!

Juan

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 18, 2010 9:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Illabot

This article is fairly thorough in covering the adventure race fatality. It might be worth linking to.

http://www.lisajhung.com/samples/PQ04_ljhung.pdf

Based on the photos, I think that they were descending the gully between the two summits but I am not sure of this. Certainly they did not go down via the same route we used.

Klenke

Klenke - Jul 19, 2010 2:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Illabot

Thanks for the link, Eric. As you can see from climbing that peak, it's not a pushover for scrambling on.

The pictures in the article bring back memories--especially the one of them all at the top since I was standing there too maybe 90 minutes before them.

I think they were descending a south-facing gully after having come up from the basin on the north and then with the idea to proceed southward to the next check station. I did not come up that gully that the accident occurred in (my gully was a lot more brushy and probably west of their gully). In fact, here is a picture of the south face of the peak. Two gullies are visible. The accident gully was likely the major one left of center. My ascent gully was the brushy one left of it left of the turret of rock at the ridge crest.

All I can say about the accident scene is these guys were way too spread out for such a chossy gully. Anyone who climbs knows you need to stay close together in these things. Plus, of course, they were not wearing helmets. I certainly question the decision to make the summit of Illabot Peaks a checkstation for such a race. Bad things can happen when you're in a race with teams in pursuit and therefore rushing (doing things) you wouldn't do otherwise and cliffy Illabot is not a place for that.

Paul

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jul 20, 2010 1:00 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Illabot

Right, I think they came down the wider gully that is a bit E of the brushy gully that you and I used.

They certainly made some questionable choices. The routefinding is debateable, the spacing was poor and they needed helmets.

I concur on Illabot being a poor choice. In one of the numerous articles about it that I skimmed, one of the racers pointed out that many of the racers would have been on the Illabot section of the course at night as they generally race 24 hours a day. To pick that peak for a situation where some folks would be on it with just a headlamp is insane.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'Illabot Peaks' main page