illimani fun facts

illimani fun facts

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 16.39°S / 67.48°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 30, 2014

illimani fun facts

I climbed illimani in the summer of 2014.  The most dangerous part of the entire expedition is the drive from La Paz to the base of the mountain.  It will make u car sick and im sure a car falls into the ravine now and again.  From the drop off point, Pinaya, its a moderate hike for a few hours to a beautiful grass valley where we spent the first night.  There are bathrooms there, basically a hole in the ground, but private.  There is a small brook that runs through the prairie and its amazingly peaceful.  Usually llama running around.  From there, its a long day to high camp, Nido de Condor.  Nido is amazing!  Its a flat ridge right where the snow starts.  You can hear avalanches every few minutes, as the glacier moves down the mountain on both sides.  From here, its straight up the ice.  My guides brother-in-law died here guiding a client when the client fell and pulled him off the mountain.  There are several memorials to the dead as you start your climb.  You climb all night on ridges and up steep ice sheets.  The "Stairway to Heaven" is the steepest and most technical part of the climb.  We used ice anchors here for about 300 yards at about 60 degrees.  There is a false summit that you want to beat up, when u realize that it was just messing with you.  But the view from the real summit is worth the price.  Check out Huayna Potosi in the background.  This is cosa seria!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

IllimaniTrip Reports