Indian Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.58300°N / 76.726°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/ Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up/ Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Interstate 81 near Harrisburg:
Get off onto Route 322W at the Lewistown/State College exit and drive North along the Susquehanna River. After about 10-15 miles you'll want to take the Halifax exit for Route 225/147 which will take you over Peters Mountain. Continue through Halifax on 147 to Millersburg and at the square turn right onto Route 209. Take 209 East all the way through Elizabethville to Loyalton. From just beyond Millersburg you'll be able to see the mountain and how it slits the valley. In Loyalton you'll get to a blinking light intersection where you'll turn left. This road will take you along the point of the mountain and eventually to the northside. You'll then come to Old Specktown Road where you'll turn right and head up a hill where Indian Trail Road merges with it. Follow this for two miles and look for an old carriage road on the right. If you get to the sharp s-turns below Gratz you've gone a little too far. It is just to the West of the s-turns.
From Interstate 81 near Pine Grove:
Take the Hegins/Route 25 exit and continue on Route 25 all the way to Gratz. In the middle of Gratz, turn left (South) and follow the road past a baseball field and down a hill to the s-turns. After the last part of the turn you'll come out heading West and the trail which looks like an old carriage road is on the left side along a line of trees. The trail is about 200yds. from the last turn.

Route Description


The route starts on a gravel road which steadily climbs to a gate after about 0.5 miles. At the gate, the path makes a turkey foot and you'll want to take the left-hand fork. From here the trail heads Southeast and climbs steadily for about one mile. The trail then splits again at a former strip mining ledge. You'll want to go right and follow the ledge to the West. There are 60 foot cliffs to your left and view over the valley, overtop of Mahantango Mountain into the next valley. Also there is an interesting view of the Pillow Gap. The trail continues along the ledge for about 0.5 miles. You then reach one of the most interesting parts of the trail as it turns dead South. After about 50 yards you reach a little landing and as you look up your eyes will be in awe of the 100-150 foot cliffs in front of you. There are plenty of possibilities for technical climbing here. From the top of the cliffs it would be a short 100yd. bushwack to the trail. The trail from below the cliffs then goes left as it switchesback up around to an overlook on the left-side of the cliffs. The trail then continues somewhat steeply Southeast to the summit plateau. The summit is huge at just above 1600ft. You won't hear anything but the breeze and the animals. The trail then splits. To go to the true summit you'll want to go right. After about 0.75 miles you'll be able to see the lookout tower. The summit elevation is at 1669ft.

Essential Gear


Day-pack with some snacks

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.