kdonaldsonUntitled Comment

kdonaldson

I am thinking about doing this mountain, but I am confused - your summit post has you summiting in a little over 2 hours. So you climbed 6000 vertical feet and over 7 miles in this time ? I also ready the article by C. Brennen and he suggest 11 hours. Your return time would be less than 4 hours assuming that you will decend even faster than you went up... Maybe some more information would be usefull in the overview section on how you managed this. Thanks.
Posted May 13, 2002 1:04 pm

RobertCharlesAltmanUntitled Comment

RobertCharlesAltman

I'm sorry if I was't clear on the time it took me. I wrote:

My Summit Post:

It took me about 2 hours, 5 minutes from Heaton

Trail top to the summit ( time of day time).

The way the route goes is like this:

.5 mile from parking lot (East Fork Station) to trail (Heaton Trail at Heaton Flat).

5 miles on Heaton Trail from its bottom at Heaton Flat to the top of Heaton Trail (at Widman Ranch trail fork)

2.25 miles from the top of Heaton Trail (note my Summit Post written above) to the summit of Iron Mtn.

It took just over 2 hours from the top of Heaton Trail to the summit.

It takes about 2 hours to get from the car to the top of Heaton Trail.

So about 5 hours is reasonable. Perhaps with rests, both ways is about 10 hours.

A topo map will help visualize this distance. Try the "TOPOZONE MAP" link on the left menu on this page.

Posted May 19, 2002 5:22 am

HuberschwillerUntitled Comment

Huberschwiller

Good page, good links !
Posted Jan 6, 2003 12:54 pm

stephenzUntitled Comment

stephenz

Thank you very much for the 3 star vote. I'm constatly trying to make updates and improvments to this page and i appreciate that some one noticed.
Posted Jan 7, 2003 3:13 pm

songhikerUntitled Comment

songhiker

Excellent page! I've been wanting to do the Iron Mountain - Mt. Baldy traverse for a couple years now! I'm ready to do it now, but I'm afraid it'll be too hot (high 80's.. yuck)... I will most likely do it solo, so I'm wondering if you have any recommendations on getting back to my car (East Fork trailhead) after I hike down Mt. Baldy? That's my biggest dilemna... :) thanks for all the great info!!!
Posted Sep 24, 2003 2:21 pm

badalbUntitled Comment

badalb

This is a good description of the hike. I hiked it April '02 and it was a killer. I was inspired by the excellent trip report and photos by Charles Hayden at: http://chayden.net/Iron/Iron.html

I did the one day, in-and-out trip starting after sunrise and finishing in the dark. The terrain is pretty difficult and it took us almost as much time to come off the mountain as to climb it. This trip requires a lot of endurance and water. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WATER SOURCE along this hike. I packed four liters of water and a lunch, and still had to bum water off my friend and his son who were in better shape than I - and that was on a cool, overcast day in April. This hike would be downright dangerous in the summer. Besides the challenges, I enjoyed this hike so much that it is one of my favorite. The changes in elevation, vegitation, and the views are outstanding. One more tip, I was constantly removing rocks from my boots because of the loose dirt during the steep parts. My friend used trail gaitors and had no problems.
Posted Dec 30, 2004 1:29 pm

Bob BurdRe: Untitled Comment

Bob Burd

Rob - Thanks for pointing these out. I've made the corrections.
Posted Jan 25, 2007 5:56 am

KathyWJust some advise

Please run your narrative through spell check and also capitalize the first letters in proper nouns such as San Gabriels.
Posted Apr 30, 2006 3:31 am

TheGoatvery good article

TheGoat

As I'm sure you've heard, I just climbed this beast. I wanted to write an article about the mountain, but your article is so complete, there is no need! Great article.
Posted Mar 21, 2009 3:32 pm

Augie MedinaRe: very good article

Augie Medina

Thanks Goat. And good job.
Posted Mar 21, 2009 10:05 pm