It should have been a rest day

It should have been a rest day

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Scenery, Panorama

Prologue

CorazonCorazón from the south, a few days earlier
If everything had gone according to plan, we would have climbed Chimborazo yesterday, and today would be a well earned rest day.

However, loads of fresh snow changed our plans and we didn't even travel to Chimborazo. Instead, we had a few easy hiking days up north, so why rest now? Let's go to Corazón!

The hike

Estación de MachachiEstación de Machachi
Trying to avoid the daily dose of bad weather, Pablo and I started around 6 from the rather luxurious hotel next to the Machachi train station, where I had spent the night. Amazingly, on a pretty awful road he managed to drive his camioneta up to about 4250 m, so we didn´t have to hike all that far.

Occasionally, we needed our hands, but no real climbing was involved. After just over an hour and a half, we reached what appeared to be the summit - there was a cairn, not real big, but bigger than all the ones before.
Pablo and me on CorazónNo views from the summit

As we sat down, I looked south along the ridge, and thought that I saw a slightly higher point. We walked along the ridge a few minutes more, crossing two more potential highest summits, before we reached a larger cairn on the next one. After that, the trail descended. My altimeter was not accurate enough to tell which of the four potential summits was the highest, but I think it was the third one, counting from the north.

The clouds had moved in on us just before reaching the summit - no more pictures on the hike down.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

CorazónAlbums