Jacob's Ladder

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.95°S / 18.41670°E
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: SA grade 16.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Starts on the far left hand side of the upper Fountain Ledge next to a convenient belay tree. The big overhangs which are traversed by "Roulette" are up and to the right.

Route Description


The quintessential moderate Table Mountain classic. 3 pitches of pleasant jug hauling with superb views and an airy traverse.

A quote by the opening party from the 1952 MCSA journal : "Jacob's Ladder seemed to be a good name for a climb, and we decided to set about finding a climb for it; one of a high standard and worthy of the name. "

P1: Up the white face to the right to a small ledge, then up the slightly overhanging leftwards tending crack. Handing belay where the crack runs out and meets the horizontal rails or traverse right to a chossy ledge (not recommended).
P2: Airy traverse to the right for +/- 10m on good holds in a horizontal rail to the corner above the large overhangs, then straight up to a small stance.
P3: Up the face above the stance on smallish holds, then choose either left or right to top out. Belay here and then scramble to the top of the mountain to sign autographs for the cheering tourons: "Are you going abseiling?".

Essential Gear


Standard trad rack, single set of wires, cams up to 3.5 Tech Friend.

Double ropes alleviate drag on the traverse pitch and make it possible to ab back down to Fountain Ledge off one of the abseil points.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.