Jenkins Mountain Novice Route

Jenkins Mountain Novice Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.96514°N / 106.54298°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2 or less
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is an easy way to climb Jenkins Mountain.  You can avoid all class 3 and most class 2 terrain via this route.  There are also multiple options for the descent.  The route in the attached gpx file is 6.3 miles and 3250' elevation gain.

Getting There

Follow the directions for the Wilderness Route and park near the gate.

Route Description

From the parking area, follow the gated 4WD road from the trailhead sign that says Timberline no. 414.  The trail curves around to the right (south) initially but soon makes a big bend back to the northeast.  In approximately half a mile, you will come to another gate and the actual trailhead for the Timberline Trail.  Follow the Timberline Trail to the right.  Continue on this trail until you cross a stream that runs most of the year.  After the stream crossing, the trail ascends to a ridge.  Near the edge of the ridge look for a cairn with a log in front of it and a faint trail ascending the ridge behind the cairn.  Follow this trail up the ridge.  The trail will eventually disappear but continue up the ridge until you are overlooking a large valley to your left.  At this point make a right turn and stay on top of the ridge for a short while.  Soon you will need to drop down to avoid a rockfall - see photo below left.  

Jenkins route drop down from ridge
Jenkins route - drop down from first ridge here
Jenkins route - ascend the grassy slope to the ridge
Jenkins route - ascend the grassy slope to the ridge


Near the bottom of the rockfall, a climber's trail passes through the rocks, then continues up the hill.

Ascend the steep grassy slope (above photo on right).  When you reach the top of this ridge you have done most of your climbing and you will be able to see your final destination.  There are a couple of choices at this point.  You can stay on the ridge line  to the summit.  This involves some class 2 rock-hopping.  Or you can cut across below and to the left of the rocky outcrops.  The accompanying GPS track ascends along the ridge top and descends below it.

There are many options to descend.  Return the same way, or go down another grassy ridge and you will eventually run into either the road or the trail, both of which will take you back to your vehicle.

Essential Gear

Ten essentials.  No special gear needed.  Author has not done this route in the winter.

External Links

Add External Links text here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.