Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.04220°N / 106.06°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10745 ft / 3275 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jones Hill Aspen
Dormant winter aspen on Jones Hill | 23 Dec 2012

The namesake peak of the Jones Hills quad, this is a mellow and unassuming little mountain nestled just outside the northeastern edge of the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness.  Views from the summit are limited, but they are available nearby and the Buffalo Peaks twin thirteeners to the south are especially nice to look at.  While the peak is surrounded on all sides by dirt roads, there is no trail to the summit of this obscure little hill, and thus it would be surprising if you were to run into anyone else during your visit.  Enjoy the quiet solitude. 

Rank: 1916the highest peak in Colorado

Prominence: 365 feet

USGS Quad: Jones Hills

Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #110 Leadville | Fairplay

Peak Stats: Lists of John

Getting There

 
Toward Buffalo Peaks
Toward Buffalo Peaks
 
Open meadow on the south slopes
Open meadow, south slopes


Jones Hill is surrounded, literally, on all sides by dirt Forest Service roads of varying condition and thus is an extraordinarily accessible peak.  The most direct access is via Hwy 285 south of Fairplay from the east, but the peak could also be reached from the Leadville area via the unpaved Weston Pass Road (Rt 22).  The route you select will depend on the vehicle you’re driving (clearance, traction, etc.), the time of year (road accessibility due to snow/mud) and personal preference.

I will post a detailed snow season route from Buffalo Peaks Road (FSR 431) shortly!

Red Tape

 
From near the summit
Near the summit
 
Near the summit
Near the summit


There is little red tape governing recreational use in this part of the National Forest and there is no fee to access this area. Adhere to LNT (Leave No Trace) principals, observe fire ban when in effect and do not harass wildlife or allow your pet to do so.

Camping & Lodging

Summit jar
The summit jar
Splattski
Summit Splattski
What Mayan Apocalypse?
What Mayan Apocalypse?

Rustic Truck Camping

There is plenty of rustic, first-come, first-served camping along the Forest Service roads surrounding this peak.  Be prepared to haul in your own water and pack out your own garbage.

Established Forest Service Campground

North of Jones Hill is Weston Pass campground which, despite the name, actually sits about 4 miles southeast of Weston Pass.Weston Pass Campground: 


  • 14 sites

  • No reservations (first come, first served)

  • $12.00 per night

  • Elevation: 10,200 ft.


Fairplay

A small collection of hotels and bed & breakfasts can be found in the nearby town of Fairplay.

Weather & Seasons

Find more about Weather in Como, CO
Click for weather forecast

Fall would be a lovely time to visit Jones Hill, when the aspen trees are glowing golden. Be aware, however, that a lark elk herd frequents the area. Be cautious during the fall rut (generally September and October) when hormones and spirits run high among the herds, as the bulls build and defend their cherished harems. You really don’t want to get in the way of a 700 pound horny animal with antlers…

Snow season is lovely in this area, though road access can be a problem. Hunters often keep the roads rutted (through the snow) into the fall, providing a nice combination of “good accessibility” with “nice powder romp.” Getting your truck stuck back here would be bad news, though, so it doesn’t hurt to have good traction on your tires plus axle lockers if the snow is deep. Note that the snow simply accumulates among the trees into deep drifts on this peak, so in winter and spring, be prepared for a deep snow slog through the trees.

Expect summer to be crowded (in the general area, not on the mountain), though the weather to be pleasant.
Find more about Weather in Como, CO
Click for weather forecast

External Links

Please notify me via Additions & Corrections of any trip reports or other external information I can add to this section.

Jones Hill Summit
Summit

Across and open meadow
Westward

Toward Jones Hill
Jones Hill




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.