Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.13620°N / 106.1639°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13572 ft / 4137 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Weston Peak lords high over the 11,921 foot Weston Pass. This peak features a somewhat unusual summit: a broad expanse of a plateau covered in black-and-white mottled giant flakes of rock. The Weston Peak summit is like a big platform to kick back on and take in views of the Tenmile-Mosquito Ranges and the entire Sawatch Range. Also visible are Longs Peak to the north-northeast and Pikes Peak to the east.
Lamb Mountain & Sheep Mountain from WestonLamb Mountain & Sheep Mountain from Weston Peak



The peak can be reached via a long ridge traverse from the Fourmile area near Horseshoe Mountain. A short but steeeeeeeeeep approach can be accessed from Weston Pass. Surprisingly, a pleasantly airy ridge connects Weston Peak with its neighbors to the north. Views of the cirque separating Weston Peak from Ptarmigan Peak make a visit to the top of this mountain especially enjoyable.

Colorado Rank: Unranked
Prominence: 272 feet
Mountain Range: Tenmile / Mosquito
USGS Quad: Mount Sherman
Trails Illustrated Map: #110 Leadville, Fairplay
Rank and prominence information: Lists of John

Getting There

Weston Pass Getting There MapClick map image to enlarge


Weston Peak is in Park County just southeast of the Lake County Line, less than one mile as the crow flies from the summit of Weston Pass. The peak is accessible from the east via Highway 285 (passenger car accessible) and from the west via Highway 24 (high clearance recommended).

Red Tape

Ptarmigan Peak from Weston PeakPtarmigan Peak from Weston Peak
Plum tuckered outPlum tuckered out



From Weston Pass
The Weston Pass summit area appears to be covered by a private mine holding. No signs indicate the area off either side of the road is off limits to public use and the pass area hosts plenty of visitors seemingly as unaware as I was that they are enjoying the views, technically, from private land.

Additionally, the route from Weston Pass crouches under buzzing high-tension lines. It goes without saying that visitors should not climb on or deface the towers. Briefly enjoy the crackling, buzzing corona discharge that fills the air near the pass and move on.

Camping & Lodging

Designated National Forest Service Sites



The conveniently located Weston Pass campground which, despite the name, actually sits about 4 miles southeast of Weston Pass, is the closest campground for a Weston Pass approach.

Weston Pass Campground:
  • 14 sites

  • No reservations (first come, first served)

  • $12.00 per night

  • Elevation: 10,200 ft.


For those interested in connecting to Weston Peak via the ridge with Horseshoe Mountain, the Forest Service operates two campgrounds along Fourmile Road (County Road 18): Fourmile and Horseshoe. Be aware that both sites may be busy in the summer months due to their proximity to the Fourteener Mount Sherman.

Fourmile Campground:
  • 14 sites

  • No reservations (first come, first served)

  • $12.00 per night

  • Elevation: 10,762 ft.


Horseshoe Campground:
  • 19 sites

  • Reservations accepted in summer

  • $12.00 per night

  • Elevation: 10,560 ft.


Ruggedly HandsomeRuggedly Handsome


Hotels, Cabins & B&Bs



Fairplay & Alma
On the east side of Weston Pass, the communities of Fairplay and Alma provide a pleasant, laid-back atmosphere and reasonable prices for lodging. Not many hotel rooms and lodges exist on this side of the pass, but privately-owned rental cabins can allow for ample privacy with all of the comforts of home.

Detailed information about lodging in Fairplay and Alma may be found here: South Park Area Lodging

Buena Vista
Across Weston Pass on the west side is the relaxing town of Buena Vista (pronounced “Byoona-Vistah” by the locals). This friendly town provides several hotels and a few descent, casual restaurants. Prices are generally reasonable though rooms fill up fast as this is the gateway town for numerous Sawatch Fourteeners.

Detailed information about lodging in Buena Vista may be found here: Buena Vista Lodging

Leadville/Twin Lakes
The Leadville/Twin Lakes area provides simple down-to-earth, budget-friendly lodging option, including family RV parks. Still, proximately to several attractions, including Colorado’s High Point (Mount Elbert 14,433 ft.) mean snagging a room requires careful planning in advance of your visit.

For detailed information about lodging in the Leadville/Twin Lakes area, visit this website: Leadville Lodging

Stimpy on the Weston Peak SummitStimpy on the Weston Peak Summit

Weather & Seasons

Summer
Summer allows for the most reliable access to Weston Peak from either Weston Pass or Fourmile. The wildflowers covering the western slope of Weston Peak are sure to please.

Fall
Until the first deep snows fall, autumn allows for ready access to Weston Peak, though high winds and cold temperatures high on the ridge could make this an unpleasant outing.

Winter
Weston Pass is closed in snow season, guarding Weston Peak behind either a long approach from the highest available parking on Weston Pass Road or a long, cold, windy slog along the ridge from Horseshoe. The western slope of Weston Peak from Weston Pass is very steep and would be a dangerous place to be in avalanche season.

Spring
The ridge slog from Horseshoe to Weston form Fourmile would test anyone’s endurance in snow season. The Weston Pass route is not readily accessible until the snows have thawed, the road has dried and the county sees it fit to open the pass. The western slope of Weston Peak from Weston Pass is very steep and would be a dangerous place to be in avalanche season.

Zone Forecast for Fairplay, CO

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 23, 2009 6:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Weston Pass from the west

Sarah, I might mention in Getting There that the drive to Weston Pass from the west has some sections that are rocky and rutted and maybe a little too rough for low-clearance vehicles. I had no trouble with it in an SUV, but I remember thinking that I wouldn't really like driving it in a regular car. The eastern side was easy for just about anything, though. Anyway, another nice-looking and thoroughly done page. Thanks for your efforts.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Aug 2, 2009 11:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Weston Pass from the west

Thanks, Bob, I'll add your input. I appreciate it. The last time I attempted the western approach to Weston Pass was about a decade ago and the snowcover probably minimized the rocks/ruts. Sarah

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.