Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.59060°N / 104.715°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 12, 2007
Activities Activities: Toprope
Seasons Season: Fall

Overwhelming JOY

I have told anyone who asked me "I'm not a climber" and I'm still not, but I am enthralled with the power of the human spirit, especially as it achieves "heights" despite obstacles. I could have pleaded "illness" and my history with MS would have been enough said and I would have been wrong.
On Oct. 12, 2007, Frank Sanders guided me to the top by way of Durrance -- feat enough and cause for celebration. Remarkable and a story worth telling in that I was in the middle of my first major relapse 18 years of living with Multiple Sclerosis. I was having trouble getting my legs to agree with the activity, to remind heart and lungs to "stay in the chariot" as Frank said encouragingly and to complete an experience that I can only compare to child birth in terms of sheer joy!!
We repelled down in the dark after a beautiful sunset, had a couple of days of rest and recuperation and then tackled the first pitch of El Matador. AWESOME!! Still struggling with reluctant body parts and enjoying every minute of it all.
Three days of excellent medical care, and a whole bunch of steroids later, we once again climbed the Durrance Route to the top and WOW, what a difference when the body is cooperating and one's climbing partner is as understanding, encouraging and patient as Frank Sanders.
I am stronger now in body and spirit than ever and am looking forward to the next opportunity to encounter the Power of the Tower. What an Amazing Experience -- Life Changing from the inside out.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
cp0915

cp0915 - Nov 7, 2007 12:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent!

Your TR made me feel quite good.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Devils TowerTrip Reports