Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 20, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Let the hiking begin

This was by far one of the best hikes we've had. The weather was perfect and there was barely any crowd at the time we went.

We arrived at the trail head in Allenspark at 6:30AM. There is a bit of a dirt road with some pot holes. We'd say about 3 miles. We took our AWD SUV and didn't have any issues. We did see other sedans in the small parking lot at the trail head though. We suggest you make sure your car has enough clearance off the road, so no Ferraris or Lamborghinis :)

We were expecting the hike to be really strenuous but it turned out to be just fine. As mentioned while filling out this trip report we hiked in mid Jun and we had called the Boulder Ranger's office to get more info regarding the weather conditions up at the moment, specifically the amount of snow. At around mile 3 into the hike we did come across some snow, but most of it was packed and could be easily climbed over.

St.Vrain - SummerSnow
First sight of snow







As we continued onward we came across more snow but there were patches of bare ground that we gravitated towards. We didn't have any snow shoes with us but did have waterproof hiking boots. Also the hiking poles did help a bit as well. Maybe next time we might invest in some snow shoes as well.


We made it to the top in about 4 hours and there was a wind shelter that worked amazingly well. Below is a panaroma shot of the view.

St.Vrain Panaroma
St. Vrain Panaroma


While making it down the slope we decided to go through the snow field. Since we started early, the snow was still packed and we could easily walk/slide over it. Usually, if I see pics like the one here I get intimidated at my novice level however the hike down the snow field was actually quite enjoyable.

 
St. Vrain June snow field
St. Vrain Snow Field


But of course we were careful since we knew how rocky the terrain was we made sure we just didn't go nuts on the snow field and was aware of our footing.

This was our first real ascent and although it may not seem like much, we were pretty proud of our accomplishment. We hope to share more stories of our adventures.

 
St. Vrain - The Top
St. Vrain - The Top

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
StartingOver

StartingOver - Jul 2, 2015 1:23 pm - Voted 7/10

Congrats!

On your hike and trip report. Please keep them coming.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.