Kaljaran Valley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.44770°N / 50.94940°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See "Getting There".

Route Description


Distances:
10 km Roodbarak to Vandar Bon via a dirt road
9.5 km Vandar Bon to Kaljaran Pass
3 km Kaljaran Pass to Kalahoo
22.5 km Total

Note:
If you are in good shape, from Vandar Bon, you will be able to climb Kalahoo in a single day and make it back. A better option might be to climb it in 2 days with overnight camping at the Kaljaran Pass.

Route:
From Roodbarak (elevation 1400 m), hike or drive a dirt road (passable by most/any car) 10 km to a split in the road near the Vandar Bon Village (left will take you up the Sardab Rood River Valley to Hesar Chal). Turn right and follow the road to its end above the Vandar Bon Village (2400 m) where the stream splits. (Left will take you up to Sar Chal Shelter and onto Alam Kooh) Turn right and follow the stream all the way up the Kaljaran Valley to Kaljaran Pass (4104 m). You will find a trail that follows the stream but in some places the trail fades away and you might have to whack your way through dense bushes. For the most part, however, the growth is not dense. In a few places, you will have to cross the stream but you can just hop over the rocks.

At Kaljaran Pass, turn north and hike along the crest of the ridgeline past Nefar Neghar and Mishvar Peaks to the summit of Kalahoo. On our way up, we tried to bypass Mishvar to the left (west) of it but this caused us to have to hike across slippery steep scree covered slopes. The hike will be easier if you follow the top of ridgeline over the summit of Mishvar.

Essential Gear


In summer, nothing more than hiking boots and camping gear.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KalahooRoutes