Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.72252°N / 16.86994°E
Additional Information Elevation: 6086 ft / 1855 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Intro

Kamesnica is a beautiful mountain bordering suuthwest Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia (Dalmatia) which is stretching from NW white road pass Vaganj (1173m) to Busko jezero (700m above the sea level - artificial lake). Most of Kamesnica belongs to B&H including the tallest peak named Konj - 1855 m, with a magnificant view of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia. During clear weather even the islands of the Adriatic Sea can be seen.Thanks to its geografical position Kamesnica is a favorable habitat for different plant and animal species. Kamesnica is a destination with many hiking paths and deep caves. Northern parts of mountain due to its inaccessible and isolated position, and to the thick forest that surrounds it, its local eco system has been completely preserved.

Kamesnica Massif

Highest peaks of Kamesnica are: Konj (1855m) Kamesnica-Kurljaj (1809m) Gareta (1773m) Burnjaca (1770m) Kruge (1606m)

Climate of Kamesnica

Most of Kamesnica has a climate characterised by its position in two main climate regions: continental (northern side which is surrounded by Livanjsko polje, 700 m above sea-level with mean annual temperature of 9° C) and submediterranean (southern side which is surrounded by Sinjsko polje, 300 m above sea-level where mean annual temperature is 12.5° C ). Only the highest parts of Kamesnica (above 1 300 m) have a snowy-forested climate where the weather condition and mean annual air temperature can be comparised by the data of Zavizan meteo station, 1594 m). Lowest temperature on Kamesnica during the winter is around -20°C. Mean annual quantity of precipitation on Kamesnica ranges from 1200 mm to 2 500 mm (maximum quantity on the peaks Konj, Kurljaj, Burnjaca and Gareta). In general, climate of Kamesnica is very similar to climate of Velebit. Also, we have to mention "Bura" - dry and cold wind which blows from north-east direction (from continent towards sea). While bura is blowing the peaks of Kamesnica are in the cloud called "Cap". Six or seven months per a year most of Kamesnica peaks are covered by snow.

Photos of Kamesnica

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Avalanche 2013

In February, 2013 a big avalanche (1000 m long and 150 m wide) caught four climbers. Rescuers soon found three of them (all were injured), one was found later, dead. It was Edo Retelj, the well known alpinist who also participated on a few Himalayan expeditions.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

DinaraMountains & Rocks