Kareck NE slope skiing

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.07200°N / 13.56060°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: AD- (up to 40 degrees)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Due to the trailhead on the high road pass and the ordinarry ski terrains (with chair-lifts) above it, the ski tour on Kareck is very popular. It's also very beautiful, offering one normal and one steeper ski descent.

Approach

See full screen
Kareck in afternoon light
Kareck NE slope

You start the tour on the Katschberg Pass (1641 m) or on the summit of Tschaneck (2020 m), if you take a ski-lift up there.

The highway Villach - Salzburg crosses Alps through two tunnels. Looking from Villach, the first one is Katschberg. Just before the tunnel you go in Rennweg off the highway (or, if arriving from the north in St. Michael), then drive by the Katschberg Pass road (opened all the year) to the Pass where you can find good parking places (ski resort).

Route Description

Passing Gantal
Above Gantal
On Kareck north ridge
By the N ridge

From Katschberg Pass you go with skis (equipped with skins) over tourist ski slopes to Gantal Scharte, 1911 m. This part is easy and sunny, it's worth starting before the ski lifts begin to operate. If you start later, make sure to walk up by the edge of ski slope.

From Gantal Scharte a long horizontal crossing further in the western direction is awaiting you. The slopes you're crossing, are the north slopes of Kareck's eastern ridge, usually a pure powder snow with the ideal inclination for skiing. But suppress all temptation and don't lose time. Continue towards the west, all the way to Gantal (meadow, less than 1 hour from Gantal Scharte). Yu are now below the northeast ridge, where the terrain is turning you towards the north. First you climb a bit steeper on the broad notrheast ridge of Kareck, then turn left and follow it towards the summit. You have still good 500 meters to ascend. At first the ridge is comfortable, just below the summit it gets steeper. In this area take care if the ridge is icy.

skiing down Kareck
DoJo - Skiing down Kareck

For skiing down you have to estimate the avalanche risk. If it is high or moderate, take the route of approach. If it is low and you are a good skier (the upper part has 40 degrees of inclination), make from the summit only a few turns on the NE ridge and then turn right, cross the upper slopes of the northeast groove and then whereever you please fly down. 600 meters of pure joy is awaiting you, finally the skiing ends smoothly on the upper part of Gantal.

On your way back you have to cross again the horizontal slopes below Kareck's east ridge to Gantal Scharte. From this pass, you can either cross further towards the east to ordinary ski slopes, or you can also climb first Tschaneck and then ski down to Katschberg. But if there is enough snow and if your car is not waiting on Katschberg Pass, you can ski down towards the south all the way to Rennweg (1200 m).

Essential Gear

Ordinary ski touring equipment: tour skis, skins, eventually ski-axe.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KareckRoutes