Keepin it Gangsta on Philadelphia

Keepin it Gangsta on Philadelphia

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 47.77954°N / 121.54364°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 1, 2011
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

Part 1: Checking out the Place

Eastking and I have often seen Philadelphia Mountain on the way to much of our climbs along the highway 2 area. On April 3, 2011 we decided it was time to attempt it. We got to the trail head around 6 in the morning and were making good progress on the trail. I was pleased to see water falls along the way as well as dry trail until we got about halfway to Lake Serene.

Water Motion
Bridel Veil Falls
Bridel Veil Falls
Multiple Falls

After a ways of walking we got to the turn off for Philadelphia Mountain which follows a nice ridge to the summit. This is where we put on our snowshoes. The snow than began to fall, but we did not mind, although would have loved to get some views. After breaking trail a ways I get to a icy snow patch which looking behind me it was too late to turn around. I carefully took a few more steps almost topping out of the steep section and then this is where I slipped. I fell 40 or so feet down hill with little harm although it had snapped my snowshoes (still effects me to this day). I had to rig my snowshoes to just barely work.

Eastking Heading on Up
Eastking Heading Up
Snow Cornice
Snow Cornice

Although we were making decent time, not only had my snowshoe once again fallen apart (due to the strap snapping earlier) but Eastking's work schedule made time a pressing matter. Looking at the given circumstances we decided to head back down. We still had a fun trip.

Forest View to the North
Forest View to the North

Part 2: Keepin it Cool

 
Sunrise on the Monte Cristo Peaks
Sunrise on the Monte Cristo Peaks
 
Mount Zekes
Mount Zekes
Almost a whole month later on May 1, 2011 we got another opportunity for this mountain. A week earlier we had attempted this trip, drove to the trailhead but was turned back due to heavy down pour and viewless conditions. But this time, we got what we wanted. Sometimes not making the summit is a good excuse to come back to the mountain with success in good weather.

When arriving at the trailhead it was a clear sky which some of the stars could still be seen in the morning cool air. When hiking through the forest we could see Mount Index and Mount Persis through the trees looking almost as if it were a peak from the Andes. Once the sun rose, there was enough lighting which I could start up my photography, which of course then means I also then end up having to run and catch up.

Looking North Below
Looking Below (North)

Once we reached the snow the trail was nice and beaten in making traveling much nicer. I couldn't help but look in amazement at the flutings on Mount Index's impressive East Face. Once we got near the lake we put on our snowshoes and from here on out I broke trail until the summit. I wanted to make up for the last trip and be the breaker which now I had double jobs, the other one being the photographer. When ever I stopped I had to make sure I pushed on far enough so that I could pull my camera out of it's case, turn on the camera, take the photos, turn it off, and put it away. Video cameras in my opinion are a little harder to manage, which by the time I was done with this Michael would catch up and I would have to go back to trail breaking.

One of Mount Index s Steep Gullys
One of Mount Index's Steep Gullies
One of Index s Many Edges
One of Mount Index's Many Edges
Michael and Mount Index
Michael and Mount Index
Looking Down Below
The Skykomish River

Mount Index Panorama
Mount Index Panorama

As we got near the summit I found some good view points through the trees which I was impressed, although a little off the main path. Before long we made it to the summit which I celebrated with cream soda and snacks.

Eastking Almost There
Eastking Almost There
Clouds Rising off Mount Index
Clouds Rising off Mount Index

Mount Frozen
Mount Frozen

Gunn Peak from Philadelphia
Gunn Peak

Columbia Peak View
Columbia Peak Looking Great

Snow Shadows
Shadows in the Woods

Keepin it Gangsta!
Keepin it Gangsta!

The Edge of Mount Index
One of Mount Frozen's Summits

Michael with a great View
Michael with a Good View
The Southern Edge of Mount Index
Southern Edge of Mount Index

Monte Cristo Peaks Panorama
Monte Cristo Peaks Panorama

Gunn Peak Panorama
Gunn Peak Panorama

Pretty soon we had to rush down due to limited time. As we went down we heard cool looking avalanches come off of Mount Index which I could have stayed and watched all day long.

Avalanches Pouring Down the Face of Mount Index
Avalanches Pouring Down Mount Index


Waterfalls in the Spot Light
Waterfalls on the Way Out

On the way down I met a few nwhikers which is always cool. From here we dashed down to the car. The last minute of the trip I was dashing to the car, told Michael "Quick! Quick, Eastking's coming and we got to go now!" which we scrambled our stuff in and we drove out. Another fun adventure as well as good views in the mountains.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - May 12, 2011 8:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Great!

Now thats a good TR...all photos and your photos are getting better. Much less noise. Like the avalanche capture.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - May 12, 2011 8:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great!

Thanks Matt. Glad you liked my swap in technique, I figured out a method to have less noise compared with in the past. I'll admit you did play a influence on that part. I often times consider "how can I improve on my work". The avalanche was fun to watch.

EastKing

EastKing - May 13, 2011 3:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice TR!!

Through the pictures and the writing you really captured the moment here.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - May 15, 2011 3:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice TR!!

Thanks Greg for inviting me as always. When on nice mountains like these I attempt to capture the moment as best as I can. Wish I could have taken some more photos, but we were in a hurry.

Tangeman

Tangeman - May 15, 2011 3:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Rockin'!

Never heard of this mountain but it looks nice, great views and pics. Keep it up, G!

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jul 30, 2012 4:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Rockin'!

Thanks, this makes a nice little hike during the "winter season".

Viewing: 1-6 of 6


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.