Keyser Creek Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.86440°N / 105.9467°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike with minor scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Keyser Creek route is on the west side of Byers Peak and is less used than the eastern or southern routes. This is the most scenic route to the summit as well, though the access road is rougher than the approaches from the east.

Byers PeakByers Peak as seen from the Keyser Creek Drainage.

Approach

East of Parshall (not far east of Kremmling) and on Highway 40 between mile post 197 and 198, turn south onto Country Road 3. Follow County Road 3 until you reach County Road 32 (FR-139), mile 12 (formerly between mile markers 15 and 16?) on County Road 3. Follow County Road 32 for 4.7 miles and turn right on FR-136 on the road marked for Lake Evelyn and Bottle Pass Trail. The small parking area at the trailhead is reached after another 3.9 miles. The last road is sometimes rather rough in places, but if you drive slowly, most vehicles can make it.

Route Description

From the trailhead, follow the marked trail (an old logging road) for Bottle Pass on the left side of the parking lot. The trail heads south up the Keyser Creek Valley. You will pass a trail junction, with a trail marked for Bottle Pass, but continue along the old logging road.

The trail reaches a marked junction after 1.8 miles. Take a left for the trail marked Byers Peak Trail. The trail is not shown accurately on the map, and it switchbacks up to the ridge and intersects the Old Byers Peak Trail. Turn right (south) along the Old Byers Peak Trail. This trail isn't used nearly as much as the New Byers Peak Trail, and offers solitude. Parts of the trail are a bit faded, but fairly easy to follow, since the trail stays close to the ridgetop.

The trail more or less follows the ridge and reaches the New Byers Peak Trail at timberline. The new trail is then followed to the summit. There is some easy class 2 scrambling on the last part of the ridge.

The total distance from the Keyser Creek Trailhead to the summit is 5.3 miles with 2800 feet elevation gain.


Essential Gear

A good pair of boots is needed.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.