Kineo Mountain Loop via Seven Bridges

Kineo Mountain Loop via Seven Bridges

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.79050°N / 104.9312°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble (2,000' gain +/- & 6 miles +/-)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Approach-Class 1, Ridge-Class 2 steep
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start at the Gold Camp Road parking lot above Helen Hunt Falls in North Cheyenne Canon Park in Colorodo Springs. Hike up the portion of Gold Camp Road closed to vehicle traffic (for now) to the first major switchback. Turn right onto the Seven Bridges Trail and follow North Cheyenne Creek for roughly 2 miles. You will pass Undine Falls which makes for a great place to take a breather and take in the natural water slide. About a half mile above the falls you will encounter a fork in a grove of aspens. Take the fork to the right to the saddle west of Kineo Mountain. At the saddle, leave the trail and head east up the west ridge.

Route Description

Basically the west ridge to the Kineo Mountain summit and the east ridge down to Points 8,720 and Points 8,540 involve route finding. The basic idea here is to stay as close to the ridge as possible, occasionally traversing rock outcroppings or downfall. Near Point 8,720 you will encounter the Buckhorn Mountain trail which can be followed back to High Drive or you can take a side trail to the right below Point 8,540 that will traverse back to Gold Camp Road. Both roads lead back to the parking area.

Essential Gear

In snow season, gaitors would be helpful. I encountered deep snow (1'-2') in a few places but snowshoes would not have been worth the weight. Some of the Seven Bridges approach trail may be icy in winter and early spring so traction aids like yak-trackers would be helpful to throw in your pack. Make sure to bring a camera and binoculars!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.