Kofler Alm

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.95000°N / 12.12000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Scramble-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the Getting There Section on the main page for the itineraries to the trailhead at Rein / Riva di Tures.

Route Description

Dreieckspitze photo_id=132312

  • General data
      - Start altitude: 1596m
      - Summit altitude: 3031m
      - Prevailing exposition: S
      - Type: 4h over steep paths
      - Protection: marked but hard to find above Koflersee
  • Effort: 1500m of altitude gain, 6km distance to the summit.
  • Power: 1 - no difficulties
  • Psyche: 1 - easy

    The village of Rein / Riva di Tures is located on a shoulder from which two valleys run in eastern and northern direction. For Kofler Alm you need to head out west into Bachertal Valley but immediately leave the valley foor northwards to ascend the slopes below the Alm. The trail is marked 8a and is the northern part of Arthur Hardeggen Trail the loop around Bacher Valley. After some steep hiking through dense pine and fir forest you reach the lower Kofler Alm Meadow, a small clearing from which you can get the first breathtaking views of Rieserferner and Hochgall.

    Cross the remaining forest and you will reach upper Kofler Alm on a shoulder above Bacher Valley. Here trail No 9a leaves Arthur Hardeggen Trail to the north and climbs through a cirque to Koflersee. Here the Sossenhütte Route joins a little to the north. It is advisable to take a rest here since the remaining 500m are steep strenuous scramble along scree and headstone type rocks.

    From Koflersee you can already see your destination. Follow a couloir to the Bärenluegscharte Pass where the northern Lake Route joins. From the pass head eastwards (still 9a) towards a shoulder to the south of Dreieckspitze from where you turn northward onto the southern summit ridge.

    Essential Gear

    Hiking gear is sufficient.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.