Kvačianska Dolina

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Location Lat/Lon: 49.18327°N / 19.54056°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kvačianska Dolina
Kvačianska Dolina
Kvačianska Dolina


The little mountain range of Chočské Vrchy, whose Veľký Choc is the highest top, is strewn with some deep gorges running from North to South.

Since the north of the Chočské Vrchy is a high elevated mountain plateau, and the surrounding ground is mostly made of limestone, water made its way through.

Kvačianska Dolina

Kvačianska Dolina, 3.5km long, is the most famous of these gorges, with Prosiecka Dolina, for their size, but also because they are visitable by hiking trails.

Kvačianska Dolina

Both together, they form a fine one-day loop. The little top of Prosečné, between them, can also be visited, for the fittests.

However, Kvačianska Dolina is very different than Prosiecka Dolina. It is a wide valley, with a large water stream running in the bottom. The trail consists in a large track one could almost drive by car.

We can underline the possibility to cycle this valley (and make a fine way to circumvent west the Tatras, instead of taking the col on the road 584).
For a bike loop, Sestrčska Dolina, less steep, and a bit further west, is another valley which can be cycled (not the case for Prosiecka Dolina).

The water-mill in Kvačianska Dolina
The water-mill in Kvačianska Dolina
The water-mill in Kvačianska Dolina

In the upper part of Kvačianska Dolina is located a clearing, where are 2 old wooden water mills. These mills are from the first half of the 19th century, and are kept into service by a group of passionate locals. No fee is required to see them, and this place makes a very good spot to make a stop, near the stream, and relax. More informations (in slovak) about these mills here.

Getting There

Depending on where you come from in Slovakia, you must reach Ružomberok (west), Dolný Kubín (north), or Liptovský Mikuláš (east)

Then, from Liptovský Mikuláš or Liptovský Michal (on the A1 Motorway), reach the village of Kvačany.

Those who want to base in the north side of this valley must arrive to Velké Borové, accessible from the road 584 in the direction of Zuberec, or even better, driving from Zuberec.

From Poland, cross the border at Zwardoń, Chyżne, or Rajcza/Novot.

By public transport, Prosiek, Kvačany and Velké Borové are served by bus.

The Small Tatras (Nizke Tatry) from Prosiec, out of Prosiecka Dolina

Red Tape

Chočské Vrchy, in which this valley is located, is a national park. Hence, it is strictly forbidden to leave the marked trail.
Do not try to rockclimb cliffs made of loose limestone.
Do not wildcamp in this area, which also hosts many bears.

Accomodation

Kvačianska Dolina hillsides, from Kvačany

B&B and hostels

There are many cheap accomodations at the inhabitant in Prosiek, Kvačany and Velké Borové.
To find such places, type in Google a place name with "Ubytovanie" ("Accomodation"), you'll get a handful of results.
More accomodations are available as you get closer to Liptovský Mikuláš, but they also get more expensive. This can be explained partly with the proximity of the thermal water resorts of Bešeňová and Tatralandia (which, however, I recommend you to try once, after an exhausting hike :)

Campsites

ATC Liptovský Trnovec is located in Liptovský Trnovec, near Liptovský Mikuláš, on the shore of the big lake Liptovska Mara.


Fine traditional houses in Veľké Borové
Fine traditional houses in Veľké Borové
Little chapel, back to Kvačany

Maps

The excellent online map of Chočské Vrchy on the site horskakoza.org :






Another map is available here :




Links

My page about Kvačianska Dolina and Prosiecka Dolina







Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.