Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.27152°N / 111.61696°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 8, 2022
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

Overview

The 7876 ft Kyhv Peak (formerly known as Squaw Mountain) rises immediately to the east of the city of Provo, Utah. While its summit soars 3400 vertical feet above the surface of Utah Lake and the metropolitan area, the summit of Kyhv Peak is much lower than the 10 000 and 11 000 ft peaks farther east. A trail starts at the end of a neighborhood street and goes up Rock Canyon and then a branch of it to reach the summit of Kyhv Peak.

 

I did this hike on an early July day when high temperature in the city was supposed to exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

 

Trip Report

 

Hike Length: 7.6 miles

Trailhead Elevation: 5130 ft

Total Ascent: 2765 ft

 

Left the vacation rental house in Orem, Utah at 5 AM (sunrise around 6:10). Afternoon high temperature was supposed to exceed 100 degrees F so I was in somewhat of a hurry to make it to the top and back down before it got too hot. I only had a 7-mile drive through the city. As I was approaching trailhead while driving on a street, Shadow of Squaw Mountain came to view.

 

Squaw Mountain from a city street
Squaw Mountain from a city street

 

Was soon at Rock Canyon trailhead. It was still rather dark, and I was hesitant to start my hike. Wasted some time until I saw two other cars coming. They turned out to be joggers and began to jog up the canyon. I left at 5:42 AM when it was 68 degrees F, elevation 5130 ft. Headed east up the trail going into Rock Canyon.

 

Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain

 

A look back at Utah Lake and the city.

 

Utah Lake and Provo area
Utah Lake and Provo area

 

Up the canyon.

 

Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon

 

The lake again.

 

Utah Lake from Rock Canyon
Utah Lake from Rock Canyon

 

At 6:31 AM, 1.72 miles and 6120 ft elevation, I reached an unsigned junction in the trail. Turned left (north) following the trail, which was steep at times, up the branch of the canyon in a forest. A lone lady and then two men went by me jogging up the trail. Was that their usual morning jog before going to work? And I went there all the way from Wisconsin with backpack and hiking poles to “climb” Squaw Mountain?

 

Forest in branch of Rock Canyon
Forest in branch of Rock Canyon

 

At above 7200 ft, a beautiful open meadow appeared. The tip of Mt. Timpanogos came to view.

 

Tip of Mt. Timpanogos
Tip of Mt. Timpanogos

 

The trail made a broad U-turn heading south toward the summit of Squaw Mountain. I got glimpses of Utah Lake from the beautiful meadow. Ran into all those joggers again going downhill.

 

Utah Lake
Utah Lake
Utah Lake
Utah Lake

 

 

Below the summit.

 

Below summit
Below summit

 

Reached the summit at 7:53 AM and 3.74 miles. No one was there. The view was incredible. Although 3000 ft lower, the city felt as if it was right under my feet. Squaw Mountain and Y Mountain, cast long shadows over parts of the city. Utah Lake was a blue gem among the brown arid lands to the west.

 

Utah Lake and the city of Provo
Utah Lake and the city of Provo

 

Mt. Timpanogos (11749 ft) to the north.

 

Mt. Timpanogos
Mt. Timpanogos
Mt. Timponagos
Mt. Timponagos

 

 

Cascade Mountain (10908 ft) to the northeast.

 

Cascade Mountain
Cascade Mountain

 

Provo Peak (11068 ft), Provo East Peak, Freedom Peak and Shingle Mill Peak Plus the lower Lions Head Peak to the east.

 

Provo Peak, Provo East, Freedom Peak, Shingle Mills
Provo Peak, Provo East, Freedom Peak, Shingle Mills

 

Y Mountain to the south.

 

Y Mountain
Y Mountain

 

Mount Nebo to the south.

 

Mt. Nebo
Mt. Nebo
Zoomed view of Mt. Nebo
Zoomed view of Mt. Nebo

 

Sat down to eat and enjoy the views. A couple made it up to the summit. I left at 8:23 AM.

Great views of Utah Lake from the meadow area.

 

Utah Lake
Utah Lake
Utah Lake
Utah Lake
Utah Lake
Utah Lake

 

Mount Nebo.

 

Mount Nebo
Mount Nebo

 

More views of Mt. Timpanogos.

 

Mt. Timpanogos
Mt. Timpanogos
Mt. Timpanogos
Mt. Timpanogos

 

Mt. Timpanogos
Mt. Timpanogos

 

Meadow.

 

Meadow
Meadow

 

I was then in the forest going down the branch of Rock Canyon. Saw a couple with their dogs coming up. They said their dog noted a rattle snake in the bush close to the trail very close to me. The lady came up the trail very carefully toward me. The bush was dense, and I could not see the snake, but I went down cautiously until she said I was past it.

Reached the bottom of Rock Canyon at 9:39 AM, 6120 ft and 5.87 miles. Was then running into hikers coming up frequently. Views from the canyon.

 

Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon
Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain
Rock Canyon
Rock Canyon

 

 

Utah Lake.

 

Utah Lake
Utah Lake

 

Squaw Mountain.

 

Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain

 

Squaw Mountain
Squaw Mountain

 

 



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
utahjimk

utahjimk - Sep 13, 2022 6:29 am - Hasn't voted

new name

Squaw Peak is being re-named "Kyhv Peak" for political correctness. (Just announced days ago).

nader

nader - Sep 13, 2022 11:47 am - Hasn't voted

Re: new name

Thank you for the update,

I will change the name soon.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.