La Barranca

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76711°N / 3.96858°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

La Barranca is La Maliciosa normal route from the south. It's also the name of the valley where the route (PR 26) passes through.

Getting There

Getting to La Barranca from Madrid or the north is quite easy. There is a crossing on Km 57 of the road M-601, where a narrow road wich goes into La Barranca can be taken. After approximately 2 Km reach two little parkings below Hotel La Barranca.

Route Description

Once on the high parking (1380 m) pass near a barrier and take a forest trail. It is to the left of Embalse del Pueblo de Navacerrada and Embalse del Ejército del Aire, two little reservoirs along Río Navacerrada. After 10 minutes leave a wooden house to the right and pass through an iron gate coming into a beautiful meadow with some big pines. It's also possible to surround it on the forest trail. Leave the prairie by crossing another iron gate and continue on the forest trail. Río Navacerrada is near again and the route turns to the left and right. Leave a drinking fountain to the left and cross a build bridge over Arroyo de Peña Cabrita.

Take a forest trail short cut to the left and into the pinewood. Once on the main trail turn to the right and continue. Soon take a ascending trail to the left. Some trunks traverse it in order to hold the ground after the rain. After filling your water bottles at Fuente de la Campanilla (1630 m - 1h) leave it the left by taking a narrow trail. Ascend on it and in the pinewood. After some minutes there is a short flat section. Leave the wood but continue on the path, it becomes stony then. Regago (stream) de Peña Cabrita is some tens of meters to the left but the trail ascends tending to approaching it and doing some zig-zags. Follow the stony and sandy path ascending in parallel with the stream. Middle and upper sections of this wide creek are steeper than the lower.

Reach the wide Collado del Piornal (2074 m - 2h 15 min) and take a stony path to the right living a pluviometer to the left. The trail climbs on La Maliciosa N flank approaching its NW ridge. After 2h 45 min from the start you'll be on La Maliciosa (2227 m) summit.

Descent is on the same trail of ascent.

Essential Gear

In winter get warm clothes with you despite what is the temperature near Hotel de la Barranca. Crampons and ice axe are also advisable from late autumn to late winter. Compass and altimeter could be recommendable too. Always take a map. In summer wear few clothes, cap and never forget some garments (jacket).

External Links

Ruta por La Maliciosa.

ASCENSIóN A LA MALICIOSA.

LA MALICIOSA (2227 m) POR LA FUENTE DE LA CAMPANILLA.

Barranca-Maliciosa-Bola-Cabrillas-barranca






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.