Lagos de Coronas

Lagos de Coronas

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.63716°N / 0.64938°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.4 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: F. sup. (I +)
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a less frequented route to climb Aneto and Coronas. It's important what it's not the easiest way to climb Pico de Coronas and the descent across the East ridge is exposed with snow. If you find some complications on the ridge always is possible the descent or the ascent across Collado del Medio (3268m) returning to Collado de Coronas (3195m) across the glacier of Aneto to descent to Puente de Coronas.

Time to summit: 4h 15 min
Slope to gain: 1360m

Getting There

Puente de CoronasPuente de Coronas

Approach to Benasque from Huesca: in the road on direction to Barbastro (N-240). After Barbastro we'll follow the indication to valley of Benasque to the C-1311 to Graus and the C-139 to Benasque across the beautiful gorge of Congosto de Ventanillo.

-Puente de Coronas at the end of the track of Vallibierna in the south of Maladeta. Trailhead as well to South route to Aneto, Aragüels, Vallibierna, Tempestades, Margalida, Russell...

The road in direction to Hospital de Benasque have a desviation signaled as Valllibierna. The access to the track is in the area of Camping de Senarta.

Route Description

The approach to Collado de Coronas is the same of the route to Aneto and I've writen in this peak. You must read this description to reach the col:

-Aneto from Lagos de Coronas.

After about 3h 30min or 4h we've reached the Collado de Coronas. We'll see now the spun and the ridge of Pico Coronas on left side. The best option to attack the spun is across the right side entering a few of meters on the glacier of Aneto. If the ridge don't present recent snowfall is easy with some rocks of I+ to reach the first peak of the ridge, the Tuca del Collado de Coronas (3286m). If remain a few of snow the ridge present some sections of 30º or 40º with a little exposition over the glacier. From the first summit a traverse among some blocks and stones without complications bring us to the Pico de Coronas (3293m).

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe: in Spring and Early summer.
Crampons on Summer and Autumn?: really only a few of people climb Pico Coronas (3293m) and they don't climb Aneto (3404m) but if your intention is climb only Coronas probably it's not necessary in the last days of summer the use of crampons but it's not always sure. A question is important before the climb: are you sure what you don't want to climb Aneto?... the Aneto have a glacier and the glacier show ice on summer and it's very near and it's the highest point of Pyrenees and if it's your first visit is very advisable.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.