Along the path digged into the ground you'll arrive at a fork (2450m): turning left the path would lead to the Lac Sans Fond at the same altitude.
On the contrary turn right, in direction of the near overhanging summit.
During the following part of the climb the path develops along a schistose ground, with the help of some steps.
With the change from SE to S side, the path begins to rise winding along a steep grassy slope.
Without any difficulty one gets the summit (total time: 2-2.30 hours).
Pay attention to the the smooth sloping rocks from the orientation table to the summit.
Rating the Route and Gear
- Start altitude: about 2160 m
- End altitude: 2927 m (it's the height of the summit)
- Prevailing exposition: S
- Type: meadows, schistose ground, grassy slope in succession
- Protection: it is not marked (only a sign at the junction with the route to le Lac sans Fond) nor protected, but there is usually no difficulty ( may be in the case of rain on the schistose ground)
- Gear & remarks: Usual hiking gear should be sufficient in summer months.
Remember that the height of the summit is near to 3000 m and sudden weather changes are always possible.
In addition the Petit Saint Bernard zone is often windy.
-OVERALL SCALE - very easy