Lancebranlette normal route (south side)

Lancebranlette normal route (south side)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.68550°N / 6.85646°E
Additional Information Route Type: E
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

360° pano view from the summit


360° pano from Lancebranlette: moving the cursor you can see the overall view

Approach

The route starts just from the RN90, in French territory, on the back of the old building of the Hospice (tenth Century), not far from Col du Petit-Saint-Bernard (2188m).

Route Description

Lancebranlette photo_id=98178

From the back of the Hospice, go on along the path in direction of Lancebranlette, among the meadows where you will find grazing herds of cows. Along the path digged into the ground you'll arrive at a fork (2450m): turning left the path would lead to the Lac Sans Fond at the same altitude. On the contrary turn right, in direction of the near overhanging summit.


During the following part of the climb the path develops along a schistose ground, with the help of some steps. With the change from SE to S side, the path begins to rise winding along a steep grassy slope. Without any difficulty one gets the summit (total time: 2-2.30 hours). Pay attention to the the smooth sloping rocks from the orientation table to the summit.


Rating the Route and Gear

According to the proposal of Route-rating by Vid:
GENERAL DATA
- Start altitude: about 2160 m
- End altitude: 2927 m (it's the height of the summit)
- Prevailing exposition: S
- Type: meadows, schistose ground, grassy slope in succession
- Protection: it is not marked (only a sign at the junction with the route to le Lac sans Fond) nor protected, but there is usually no difficulty (may be in the case of rain on the schistose ground)
- Gear & remarks: Usual hiking gear should be sufficient in summer months.
Remember that the height of the summit is near to 3000 m and sudden weather changes are always possible. In addition the Petit Saint Bernard zone is often windy.
1. EFFORT (ascent): it needs two / two and a half hours for an altitude difference of about 800 m (2160 m-2927 m)
2. POWER 1- no difficulties
3. PSYCHE 1- no difficulties
4. ORENTATION 1- no difficulties
- OVERALL SCALE - very easy


Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.