Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 38.33420°N / 119.5522°W
Additional Information County: Mono
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7000 ft / 2134 m

Overview

The Leavitt Meadows trailhead is located on the east side of Sonora Pass on CA Highway 108, and provides access to the Hoover Wilderness Area and Yosemite National Park from the north. Parking is free. The primary trail follows the West Walker River south to its origin at Tower Lake.

Amenities at the trailhead include:
- Public (fee) campground
- Vault restrooms
- Drinking water

There is also a small pack station at Leavitt Meadows that rents horses/mules which will take you and your gear into the backcountry for a fee if you wish.

New Owner

Those of you who knew Bart Cranney will be sad to learn that he passed away in late 2007. Craig Randall has taken over the reins at the Leavitt Meadows Pack Station.

Directions

From Bridgeport, CA

Take I-395 north 17 miles to the junction of Hwy 108. Follow Hwy 108 west for 6 miles. Leavitt Meadows is left side of the highway. It is visible from the road and is marked with a sign.

From Sonora, CA

Follow Hwy 108 east for 70 miles up and over the Sonora Pass. Look for Leavitt Meadows on the right hand side as the road starts to flaten out after the descent.

Note that the Sonora Pass is closed in winter, preventing access from the west.

The trail starts at the northeast end of the campground as depicted in the map below. Overnight parking is available in the parking area just as you enter the campground.

Weather Forecast

Click for Bridgeport, California Forecast



External Links

Leavitt Meadows Campground
Leavitt Meadows Pack Station



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Tower PeakTrailheads
 
Center MountainTrailheads
 
Ehrnbeck PeakTrailheads
 
Forsyth PeakTrailheads
 
Hawksbeak PeakTrailheads
 
Wells PeakTrailheads
 
Saurian CrestTrailheads
 
Craig PeakTrailheads
 
 
Keyes PeakTrailheads
 
Bigelow PeakTrailheads
 
Peak 10431Trailheads
 
Quartzite PeakTrailheads
 
Grizzly PeakTrailheads
 
Haystack PeakTrailheads
 
Schofield PeakTrailheads
 
Richardson PeakTrailheads
 
Chittenden PeakTrailheads