Lenkstein southern ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.93990°N / 12.16670°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up, medium hard
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the parent page how to reach Barmer Huette.


Show a bigger map

Route Description

Just before reaching the...
Just before reaching the...
upper part of Lenkstein/Sasso...
upper part of Lenkstein/Sasso...

From Barmer Huette, 2591 m we first descend a little to 2521 m, where the path from Patschertal comes. There still ruins of the old Barmer Huette (destroyed by avalanche in 1955) can be seen.

The marked path to Rosshorn Joch proceeds towards the north. Over a broad terrace we don't gain much height, finally the path enters a gorge (often snow!) and with a considerable help of iron pegs and cables helps you climb over almost vertical rock passages. This part can be tricky if icy

From Rosshorn Joch, 2916 m we can jump to the nearest summit of Rosshorn, 3068 m (easy rock climb of UIAA I.) or proceed sharply left (westwards) towards Lenkstein Joch / Bochetta Sasso Lungo, 3084 m. Also from this saddle we can take with a short jump a summit trophy - Fenner Eck, 3123 m.

Now our path again turns northwards. Over rocks and snowfields we reach a steep rocky barrier which is overcome in several turns. Here the path is marked, but not secured, so quite some carefulness is needed.

Above, we reach the upper snows of Lenksteinferner (glacier), but crossing is not steep (picture left) and without any problems we reach the southern summit ridge and over its easy rocks the highest point.

Some parts of the route can be tricky if icy, in good conditions only a clear head and safe step is needed. From the parking place in Patscher valley we need to overcome 1700 m of height difference (6 h 30 min), from Barmer hut 800 m (3 h 30 min).

Essential Gear

Hiking gear. Walking poles.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.