Les Aiguilles Rouges

Les Aiguilles Rouges

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.98823°N / 6.87362°E
Additional Information Route Type: Multipitch Routes on Gorgeous Granite
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3-8 (FR) 5.4-5.12d (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Most of the routes can be approached from either the Le Brevent or Flegere lifts.

Route Description

Simply an amazing collection of gorgeous granite summits along the south side of the Chamonix Valley. Approaches range from 10 minutes to one hour and the possibilities seem endless. Classic lines include the Frison Roche on the Brevent, any routes on the Aiguille l'Index, Chapelle Gliere, or Clocher-Clochetons. Many of the routes are also reatured in Rebuffat's Mont Blanc Massif: 100 Classic Climbs.

Essential Gear

Twin 50m ropes, 12 draws, a small set of nuts and cams in the 1-2.5 range, and a few slings will enable you to climb just about anything in the Aiguilles Rouges. Of course a helmet is also recommended. Many routes can be approached in Teva sandals but a pair of normal approach shoes is better for some of the walkoffs. See guide book for more specific route requirements.

Watch out for Crowds

These routes can be quite crowded in the summer so get there early and move quick. Also, you'll see lots of stupid and dangerous things occur at the overcrowded belay stands. Climb safe and wear a helmet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.