Less Than Eleven Feet II

Less Than Eleven Feet II

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Scenery

Wind River Range, Washakie - Hailey Pass Loop, August 2008

Last year my friend Jeff and I did our first Less Than Eleven Feet trip into Wyoming’s Wind River Range. (Two guys whose combined height is less than eleven feet).

We knew then that the Winds required more than one visit, so this year we returned for a sequel. We put in at the Big Sandy Opening trailhead, along the southern end of the range. Initially I planned on heading into the Cirque of the Towers, but after reading online reports and advice, especially from SP’er Bob Sihler, I settled on the 35 mile lollipop-shaped loop over Washakie and Hailey passes. This route passes through basins dotted with crystaline lakes and towering granite summits.

We packed in for 6 nights and added spikes to the lollipop with side trips to Shadow Lake, Valentine Lake and the Lizard Head trail, up to Baptiste Lake, along the spectacular East Fork Valley, and scrambling to the summits of Mounts Washakie and Hooker.

The salient feature of this trip was a lack of superlatives to describe the country. How many times can you say “wow”, “awesome”, or “un-freaking-believable”?

We are hooked on the Winds.

(Click on thumbail for larger image, then click on that one for full size.)


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-13 of 13
jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Sep 5, 2008 1:19 am - Voted 10/10

Awfully nice...

shots you're taking here! These are a pleasure to see.

Nelson

Nelson - Sep 5, 2008 8:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awefully nice...

Thanks for the comment, glad you like the photos. The Winds are a pleasure to hike through.

Chris

Chris - Sep 5, 2008 11:13 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great photos Nelson!

I agree... stunning photos Nelson!

Nelson

Nelson - Sep 5, 2008 5:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great photos Nelson!

Thanks guys. It helps when are surrounded by a stunning landscape, gives you that incentive to crawl out of the tent before dawn or go for another stroll in the evening.

Bill Reed

Bill Reed - Sep 5, 2008 3:27 pm - Voted 10/10

Most excellent, Nelson!

That 5lbs paid big dividends. Thanks for sharing.

Nelson

Nelson - Sep 6, 2008 9:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Most excellent, Nelson!

It was probably closer to 4 pounds, but that was still 10% of my pack weight at the start of the trip, including a full water bottle and 7 days food. Having lugged the tripod, two lenses, batteries, etc. back in there I made darn sure I was out of the tent before dawn and had scouted out good vantage points for both morning and evening light. Thanks for the comment.

Nelson

Nelson - Sep 7, 2008 10:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Amazing Photos

Thanks a lot. Mostly I am using being in the right place at the right time! I scout out the area after we set up camp, judge where the light will come from, then make sure I'm at my selected spots at dawn and dusk.

In addition about half of these shot are processed for High Dynamic Range using the Photomatix HDR software. Some of the other have zero post processing.

The camera is an older Canon Rebel XT DSLR. I use a 10-22 Canon lens and 18-250 Tamron lens, all consumer grade stuff, but the 10-22 is a nice piece of glass. Tripod and polarizing filter used in most shots.

Regards, Nelson

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Sep 9, 2008 9:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Fantastic Photos!

Nelson, really incredible photos. Makes me think its time to upgrade to better photography equipment! Also makes me think that I might want to skip RMNP next August, and head to WWR! Thanks for sharing.

Nelson

Nelson - Sep 10, 2008 8:34 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fantastic Photos!

It's hard to go wrong between RMNP and the Winds, that's for sure! Thanks for the comment, glad you like the shots.

klwagar

klwagar - Sep 12, 2008 11:24 am - Voted 10/10

wow

and un fricking believable. I love your photos.

Nelson

Nelson - Sep 12, 2008 9:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wow

Thanks! Glad to see someone even read the intro. :-)

Millier - Jul 26, 2010 3:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Let me catch my breath!

You are right--there are just not adequate words to describe what your photos portray!!

Nelson

Nelson - Jul 27, 2010 5:57 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Let me catch my breath!

Thanks for your comments. Glad you like the photos. The Winds make it easy to get a decent shot!

Viewing: 1-13 of 13


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.