Viewing: 1-5 of 5
hightinerary

hightinerary - Nov 10, 2013 3:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Kudos

I recommend this peak. I did it for the first time today. It was a beautiful fall day, yet I had the trailhead and the mountain all to myself. Good exercise on the Sherman Gap Trail. Not too long, not too short. And the summit scramble adds a bit of mountaineering to the endeavor.

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Nov 26, 2013 4:23 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Kudos

Thanks! Glad you liked it. I didn't know that there was a summit scramble; I found an easy bushwhack to the summit that only took about 0.1 miles. Tell me more about this.

hightinerary

hightinerary - Nov 26, 2013 4:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Kudos

Oops - I didn't mean that. Your description was just right. It was cross-country hiking, not a scramble.

FYI - I hiked up Pignut Mountain (north of Oventop but south of The Peak) on Sunday. I recommend it - it requires a long steep bushwhack similar to climbing The Peak. On top it has nice (partial) views of Mt. Marshall and The Peak.

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Nov 26, 2013 5:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Kudos

Wow, you did Pignut? That's quite the bushwhack! You're only the second person who I have heard of climbing Pignut. This hiker did it on the same day that I climbed Bearfence for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOBGOcsR2UM

BTW, you've also mentioned that you did Lewis Peak in the South District of SNP and the unnamed 2700 foot peak near Scothorn Gap. Would you be interested in making pages for these peaks? If so, I can provide a few pictures.

hightinerary

hightinerary - Nov 27, 2013 10:58 am - Voted 10/10

Pignut

I have climbed Lewis Peak and also Lewis Mountain, which lies to the southwest, between Lewis Peak and Austin Mountain. Lewis Mountain was a nice surprise - it has no maintained trail, but I found remnants of an old trail and the cross-country travel was very pleasant. But I don't think the 2,708-foot peak just north of Waterfall Mountain merits a page. Pignut does, though!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Little Crease Mountain' main page