Little Wild Horse canyon & Bell canyon loop

Little Wild Horse canyon & Bell canyon loop

Page Type Page Type: Album

Access and Camping

Both canyons are located in San Rafael Swell, off the Highway 24 (north of Hanksville and southwest of Green River). Turn and follow signs towards Goblin Valley State Park, and just before entering the fee area, turn west and follow signs to Little Wild Horse Canyon. There is a dirt road passable to all vehicles in the dry weather (the road is paved now per Bob Sihler 10/11). There is no fee for exploring these canyons.
There is a luxurious campground inside the Goblin Valley state park (including warm showers!). The charge is 12$ per night, or you can camp off the dirt road past Goblin Valley for free, or sleep at the trailhead (if you do not mind stinky toilets).

Little Wild Horse canyon

Hike starts by walking in the wash, past a grove of cottonwoods. There is a section which appears as a dead end, you just have to climb on the side of the canyon and continue towards to a fork. There is a sing pointing towards Little Horse and Bell canyon. We started our hike via Little Horse.
The hike itself is pretty easy. The canyon is usually dry, but we were visiting after a rain, so we had to wade through some watery sections. It was actually very refreshing.

Images from Little Wild Horse Canyon

Little Wild Horse canyon 
and Duchess did not worry at all... 
Little Wild Horse canyon 
Planning an escape route 
still Little Wild Horse 
having fun... 
Keeping our feet dry.. 
and more narrow sections... 
some places were pretty tight 
Spectacular... 

Little Wild Horse canyon 
interesting design... 




Between the canyons

There is an open section between both canyon. This part is very exposed and can be very hot in the summer (not much shade). So bring a lot of water with you.
between the canyons... 
between the canyons 
jumping across boulders 

Bell Canyon

Bell canyon was not as scenic and narrow as Little Wild Horse, but still very pretty. There were interesting rock formations along the way, which my son enjoyed exploring.

Images from Bell Canyon

Bell canyon, Utah 
Sign at the start 
technical? not at all... 
Little niche 
lizard 

Time needed and legth

We took a leisurely hike and it took us about 5 hrs. I think you can run it in less than 2 hrs. The total distance is 8 miles.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Scott

Scott - Sep 10, 2009 9:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Dupicate

This page is actually a dulplicate of the one below:

Little Wildhorse

It is possible to email/PM the maintainer if you wanted to share a page.

You could also turn this page into a trip report without too much more effort if you would like.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 10, 2009 10:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dupicate

Sorry, i did not copy it from that page. So, what do I have to perform to be with the rules of the summit post? I can change it into an album...

Scott

Scott - Sep 11, 2009 9:41 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dupicate

So, what do I have to perform to be with the rules of the summit post? I can change it into an album...

If interested, some of the rules are in the FAQ's:

FAQ's

Here is the one about duplicate pages. Only one canyon page can exist for Little Wildhorse Canyon:

Duplicate Material

Albums are different though. Your nice photos/info would make a fine album or a trip report. If you need help changing the page type, let me know.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 11, 2009 10:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dupicate

Yes, it would be great if you would help me to change to an album. Do I have to delete it first, and make an album? Or is there a way that I can just change to "label"?

Scott

Scott - Sep 11, 2009 7:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Dupicate

Yes, it would be great if you would help me to change to an album. Do I have to delete it first, and make an album? Or is there a way that I can just change to "label"?

It's pretty easy and you don't have to delete it.

Click on "Edit Page" on the top bar of the editors option of your page. Right at the top is a "Change Page Type" option.

Once it's an album or trip report, you can also attach this page to old Little Wild Horse Page if you want, so everyone viewing Bob's original page on Little Wildhorse has an option of clicking on your album or trip report when they view the page. To so this, use the attach/detach option on the top bar of editor options.

Let me know if you need any more help and I'll be happy to help.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Sep 14, 2009 8:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Dupicate

done, converted to an album.

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 31, 2009 6:13 am - Voted 10/10

Another Paradise

Ahoj Liba,
Even drier than the Slovak one on a hot summer day. Under such conditions, I stick to cool lager rather than Isostar.:) As to SP technical items, I think it's helpful - to avoid people mistaking albums for area pages - either to make up a diverse heading or to add "My" as the first word of it.
Jacek

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 31, 2009 8:33 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another Paradise

Thanks for the hint. I think that I will not post anything else than Album. This way nobody can accuse me of copying someone's else's stuff. And who would understand my English anyway? haha. I really like this site for the photography.

yatsek

yatsek - Nov 2, 2009 4:13 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Another Paradise

Ha ha, I bet your American is better than my English, not to mention the bulk of SP area pages written by famous climbers from non-English-speaking countries. Anyway, there are countless advantages to SP. BTW I'm working on the Sudetes page at the moment.:)

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Nov 2, 2009 8:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another Paradise

Are you in touch with Vicentin? He posts so much stuff from Sudeten. - not sure how to spell it. I am going home in December.

yatsek

yatsek - Nov 2, 2009 4:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Another Paradise

He's French but his wife, who he first met in the Tatras, is Polish, so he lives here. He did his climbing course where I did mine (20 years back :)) He's an avid mtn biker - see his pages on mBpost.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Nov 2, 2009 7:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Another Paradise

He seems nice and always smiling on his photos... and very excited about his son. Just wondering if he will stay that way when his son turns 16.
What can you do in the central Europe in the winter time? I have to do something outdoors, otherwise I will turn crazy (I am half way there already).

yatsek

yatsek - Nov 3, 2009 6:30 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Paradise Lost

Mind you, I used to be like what Eric's like now (minus nice perhaps). When my Michal turned 16 he swapped outdoor games for computer games. You just can't beat them, the genes. Anyway, now I hardly ever smile unless I'm out in the outdoors, which hardly ever happens – nice to know somebody out there understands how it feels.:) Here, in winter, you can do what Eric does: cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, skiing, or biking – depending on the weather. (The fall's been surprisingly cold this year. Far from sure the winter's gonna be white though.)

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Oct 12, 2011 7:58 am - Hasn't voted

Road Paved Now

Hi Liba,

I was out here again yesterday and found that since my last visit, the road had been paved to the trailhead. I updated my page accordingly, and I thought I'd let you know in case you wanted to update yours.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 12, 2011 10:39 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Road Paved Now

Thanks Bob. I guess it will bring more people in (not sure whether that is good or bad:)

Viewing: 1-15 of 15

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.