Lizzies Basin

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.95080°N / 115.1217°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See the getting there section of the main page for directions to the start of this route.

Route Description

Round Trip Distance : Approximately 7 mi (From 2WD/LC Trailhead)
Elevation Gain : 4500 ft (From 2WD/LC Trailhead)

Start of Hike (2WD/LC): N 40.94059 W -115.0739 (WGS 84)
Start of Hike (4WD/HC): N 40.94055 W -115.0999 (WGS 84)

Lizzies Basin Route TopoLizzies Basin Topo


From the National Forest boundary/Low Clearance Trailhead, continue up the road 1.5 miles gaining 1500 feet to the end of the road/4WD Trailhead.

From the end of the road, try and follow the trail for a couple hundred feet up the ridge through the brush. At about 8750 feet, the trail drops into the basin. You will want to drop in just below the cliff bands that are visible from this ridge.

After dropping into the basin, follow the faint trail towards Leach Creek. From Leach Creek, you will have a good view of the chute up, but the trail disappears. Make your way to the base of this chute. From the bottom of the chute continue upwards for 1000 feet until you gain the saddle. Going up the chute is steep on firm ground.

Once at the saddle, the top looks close, but it is another 1000 feet up. Here is a shot from near the top of the saddle. To get to the summit continue westward for a half a mile to the summit, the rocks are large and loose, but it is only class 2.


From the summit, you have the option of getting close-up of Lizzies Window. To get there:

From snarb88:

The direct route from the basin to Lizzie's Window is class 4, according to Sharon Reynolds of the USFS. But there is an easier way. From the summit of HIM Peak, don't go south on the crest ridge--you'll be stopped by huge dropoffs after a few hundred feet. Instead, go directly west from the summit and take the chute that smells really goaty on down. At the bottom, you won't be able to see the window, but you'll be able to key on the pyramidal nightcap. Go south on the west side of the crest until you are directly west of the nightcap and then climb straight on up. Class 2.

Hole-In-The-Mountain PeakLeach Creek; chute up is to the far right

Essential Gear

I think water could be found for the majority of the year in Lizzies Basin, a GPS is not necessary for the hike, it could be useful for finding the access road (if you don't use your odometer).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Bubba Suess

Bubba Suess - Jun 4, 2011 12:22 am - Voted 10/10

Good page but...

It is listed in the wrong state.

gjagiels

gjagiels - Jun 5, 2011 1:15 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good page but...

Thanks for catching this, I'm surprised nobody said anything before :-) Greg

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.