Longs Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 623
LazyJSkwires

LazyJSkwires - Oct 22, 2023 7:53 pm Date Climbed: Oct 22, 2023

Some absolute nonsense  Sucess!

My day was fine, early-ish start at 5:25am no problems even with snow in the trough, didn't use my microspikes until I was heading back, got a little unsure on the last move out of the trough, got out, across the narrows, up the last push to the summit. Did everything in reverse until I got close to the keyhole.

About that time I ran into a couple of people who were descending from the false keyhole and helped them with the last move back to the trail. One of them was a good samaritan rescuer, the other was someone who was under prepared, under experienced, and above all lost. Her plan to hike 14ers had been to climb Elbert which was unsuccessful after getting lost and eventually getting back to the trail, then climb the deadliest 14er in Colorado. With no previous mountaineering experience it went as you'd expect

cmcalhoun

cmcalhoun - Jun 21, 2023 4:35 pm Date Climbed: Sep 25, 2022

Longs  Sucess!

Climbed via the Loft Route and Mt. Meeker. Super fun!

LouisFasano32

LouisFasano32 - Dec 16, 2021 11:31 pm

First Solo ascent  Sucess!

Hiked this one solo. Saw maybe 6 other people the entire time. Really enjoyed the solitude although I probably wont do to many more hikes like this solo.

JesseSumrak

JesseSumrak - Aug 9, 2021 12:54 pm Date Climbed: Aug 5, 2021

Radical Slam  Sucess!

10 Peaks of Longs Peak (Nesotaieux’s Ten Tadasanas, Radical Slam Deluxe, “Sick Concoction”) — 17 hours and 10,000 ft of elevation gain. Yesterday, I completed the most demanding physical and mental challenge I’ve ever attempted. Started at 2:30am up the Iron Gates route. Climbed Meeker Ridge, then traversed the amazingly terrifying Knife Edge (I’m so scared of heights, especially 100% fatal ones) to Meeker. I continued on my lonesome to Southeast Longs, and then I got dangerously off route trying to take the Loft to Longs. I miraculously made it with sections of Class 4 (definitely 5 when I got off route) down climbing and met up with the Homestretch portion of the Keyhole. Bagged Longs Peak, then on to Pagoda. Again, off route on fatal ledges before I wasted valuable time back tracking. Found the right route and made it to Pagoda with only a brief Class 4 exciting moment. Traversed below the Trough to the Ledges, passed through the Keyhole, then meandered to Storm. Found some water to filter at the base (thank goodness) before bagging Mount Lady Washington. On to the easy stuff with Battle Mountain and Pine Ridge, then a heartbreaking hour-long bushwack to connect to the Estes Cone Trail. Climbed Estes Cone, cried for a while, and then finished the last 3 miles to the truck before doing 10 pushups (90 less the Gerry Roach demands) and finishing the most epic adventure of my life.

runbyu1

runbyu1 - Jul 31, 2021 8:59 pm Date Climbed: Jul 9, 2021

Birthday Run Up The Loft & Down Keyhole with Eric + Rice & Jesse  Sucess!

Super fun day, even if we got lost connecting from the Lost over to the homestretch and had to backtrack, downclimb, and re-climb. Blasted the last mile in 5:45 which was fun.

CMStinson - Jan 25, 2021 11:50 am Date Climbed: Aug 10, 1997

wet down low, snowy on top  Sucess!

Climbed via the Keyhole Route. Despite the rain early in the day, and the snow on the Homestretch and above, the route was fairly busy. No visibility into the distance from the top -- too much fog/cloud -- but could see enough to make my way over to the summit, rest a moment, and start down. My first 14er, and a great day.

jake_the_snake

jake_the_snake - Aug 6, 2020 2:24 pm Date Climbed: Aug 1, 2020

Longs peak  Sucess!

Beautiful Mountain

pcrean - Apr 30, 2020 11:22 am Date Climbed: Aug 15, 2016

Longs Peak  Sucess!

Fun fun!

admiralcapn

admiralcapn - Apr 4, 2020 5:20 pm

Re: Rainy and tiring

When did you leave for this? I did Keyhole on the same day and the weather was beautiful all morning! Got back down around noon.

admiralcapn

admiralcapn - Apr 4, 2020 5:18 pm Date Climbed: Aug 4, 2016

NP highpoint #5  Sucess!

Beautiful morning on the Keyhole trail. Completed it much faster than I expected, but my camera died right at the bottom of the boulderfield. Guess I'll just have to go back...

yadahzoemtn

yadahzoemtn - Mar 15, 2020 10:01 am Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2019

Storm a brewing  Sucess!

Loved this mountain. Would love to do it again

dapperdwaine - Dec 11, 2019 8:46 pm Date Climbed: Jun 19, 2017

14er #1  Sucess!

1st 14er. Spent 3 hours in shelter on the way down to wait out storm.

charliebeals - Sep 18, 2019 7:37 am Date Climbed: Jul 25, 2019

First Longs Attempt

Keyhole up and down.
Fantastic weather, not too busy. Probably saw a total of 40 others (not counting rangers). Lots of summiters that day.

JesseSumrak

JesseSumrak - Aug 25, 2019 1:30 pm Date Climbed: Aug 24, 2019

Mission Complete  Sucess!

I've been wanting to do this bad boy for a while, and the weather finally permitted. Went up with my buddy Ben and his wife and her family. We made it to the top in a little over 4 hours and made it down in just about 4 hours. Very windy — being afraid of heights, I was a bit concerned, but made it to the top without anything too dramatic. Yes, there's a fair amount of exposure, but I think the pictures/videos of the Keyhole Route make it look a lot scarier than it really is, in my opinion. Beautiful day, besides the wind. Super excited to check my 3rd 14'er off the list!

jamesmc2

jamesmc2 - Aug 24, 2019 9:27 pm Date Climbed: Aug 17, 2019

1st Colo 14er  Sucess!

Fun outing on my first Colorado 14er. Mixed hike and run, car to car in 6hr 34 min. Fun scrambling and even snowed for 5 min. Way more people on the mountain than I am used to!

BKiser90

BKiser90 - Aug 24, 2019 3:57 pm Date Climbed: Aug 24, 2019

Keyhole Route  Sucess!

Joined my wife, father-in-law, brother-in-law, and friend Jesse on a lovely Saturday jaunt up Longs Peak. We started from the trailhead at 2:40am. The lot was full so we parked near the campground. Made it to the Keyhole at 5:40. By that point the wind was barreling through the Keyhole. We encountered some wind on The Ledges but the worst was by far along the Narrows and the Homestretch. I summited Longs at 7:15. It took me a little longer to descend than ascend. Made it back to the car at 12:10. A solid 9.5 hour hike.

intothewild

intothewild - Aug 19, 2019 2:08 pm Date Climbed: Aug 12, 2019

Demanding but well worth it!  Sucess!

Started from the trailhead at 3:15AM - summited at around 10AM via the Keyhole route. The Homestretch was by far the sketchiest stretch, particularly during descent, because of water and ice on the rocks. A great experience overall. If you can, absolutely camp at the Boulders Field. The trail that leads there is a long and rather tedious slog, especially at night.

rtgomez90

rtgomez90 - Jul 30, 2019 2:07 pm Date Climbed: Jul 2, 2019

snowy keyhole  Sucess!

Firm snow in trough w/ good booter. Snow and ice on homestretch. Not many people on upper mtn

cascadescrambler

cascadescrambler - Jul 26, 2019 9:30 pm Date Climbed: Aug 29, 1962

Longs Peak  Sucess!

Cable Route up, Keyhole down

rockymountain_guac - May 20, 2019 8:07 am Date Climbed: Aug 15, 2019

Airplane Overhead  Sucess!

Great Day

Viewing: 1-20 of 623
Return to 'Longs Peak' main page