Looking southwest along the...

Looking southwest along the...

Looking southwest along the summit ridge of The Castle. The climber is standing at the major rappel station on the spiny ridge. I dubbed this the ugliest rappel anchor in the Cascades. The high point at top is the true summit. Photo taken February 8, 2003.
Klenke
on Feb 12, 2003 6:10 pm
Image ID: 17005

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Norman

Norman - Sep 9, 2003 12:39 am - Voted 8/10

Good winter picture

My friend and I just made Castle and Pinnacle summits on 9-6-03. I have looked at these mountains for many years. It was a great hike/climb, but no snow like your picture shows!

peakbagger4 - Jan 27, 2005 8:16 am - Voted 10/10

Winter Climbing

For a winter ascent where do you park? Do you then ski Stevens Canyon road to Reflection Lake and pickup the normal trailhead? Also what was the time from car to car?



Thanks,

Jay

Klenke

Klenke - Jan 27, 2005 1:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Winter Climbing

We parked at Narada Falls. Normally the Stevens Canyon Road is gated in winter. In this low-snow winter, heck, it may still be open. Doubt it, though. A trail from Narada Falls cuts off some distance that you could walk on the road.



It is about two miles by trail to Reflection Lakes. Then, yes, you pick up the normal snowshoe/ski track to the ridgeline just east of the The Castle. From there it is a short excursion to the The Castle's summit spine. Class 4 here and there but easy otherwise.



We did it in a day pretty easily. Even if it gets dark on you before you get back to the car, you will easily be able to follow tracks in the snow (or the trail if there's no snow). You can also apparently follow the Stevens Canyon Road back then take a steep embankment back toward the falls parking lot.

peakbagger4 - Jan 28, 2005 3:33 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Winter Climbing

Thanks for the beta. I will have to look for a weather window for this one this year.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4