Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.20818°N / 120.31802°W
Additional Information County: Placer
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8891 ft / 2710 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lyon Peak is the third and smallest of the series of peaks leading northwest along the Granite Chief Ridge. Visible from the titular Granite Chief as well as Tinker Knob to the north and Mt. Mildred to the south, Lyon Peak looks little more than a gently sloping talus rise from the ridgeline north of Needle Peak. At just under 9000 feet, it's also one of the smaller peaks in the immediate Tahoe area (especially when compared to those of Desolation Wilderness due south).

That being said, Lyon Peak provides great views of the broader Granite Chief Wilderness. Getting there almost certainly requires traversing over Granite Chief and Needle Peak, thereby allowing peakbaggers to knock out three mountains (including a Sierra Peak Section lister!) in one go. A hike/scramble up to Lyon Peak can also take you up the gorgeous Granite Chief Trail, including the wonderful granite slabs midway through the hike and several streams for a refreshing cool-down at the base.

Lyon Peak is on the Tahoe Ogul peakbagging list!

Getting There

Lyon Peak is accessed from northwest of Lake Tahoe, near the Olympic Valley ski resort (formerly known as "Squaw Valley"). Either drive approximately 10 miles south from Truckee on CA89, or drive five miles north from Tahoe City. Olympic Valley is difficult to miss given that the resort does not shy away from its, well, olympic heritage.

The central "Village" at the end of Olympic Valley Road provides the greatest number of parking spots. Respect private property, especially during ski season.

Other approaches take place from Soda Springs Road, but these are far less common and not detailed here.

Route

The most common (and easiest) method of ascending Lyon Peak is via the traverse from Granite Chief:

Looking southeast to Needle Peak from Lyon Peak.
Looking southeast to Needle Peak from Lyon Peak.

 

 

  1. Begin at Olympic Valley and start up the Granite Chief Trail.
  2. Uponhitting the PCT, turn south (left) on the PCT and approach the use trail that heads up Granite Chief proper. Head up Granite Chief.
  3. Traverse down from Granite Chief to the ridgeline. As of August 2023, trailworkers in the Granite Chief Wilderness are establishing a more permanent trail as opposed to the use trail commonly used, which will obviate some of the bushwhacking/scrambling otherwise required here.
  4. Continue northwest along the ridge toward an unnamed rise, then Needle Peak, and finally Lyon Peak. This section of the traverse is approximately two miles.
  5. Scramble up the stable talus ridge to the rounded, non-technical summit of Lyon Peak proper.

 

This can be a long day - approximately 15 miles round-trip if starting from Olympic Valley. However, this can be mitigated by taking the cable car up to High Camp - which cuts off virtually all of the Granite Chief Trail. The Granite Chief Trail and the PCT are absolute cruisers both up and down; the length of the Granite Chief Trail (and beautiful sights along the way) results in a fairly low grade the whole way up.

This approach is Class 2 for the talus that leads up Lyon Peak and the easy cross-country travel that occurs from Granite Chief. Per the Sierra Peak Section's Non-SPS Scrambler Ratings, this approach is a "2.1", designating "short to intermediate distances of rough cross-country travel" and "extensive, easy scrambling" on scree, talus, and boulders.

No technical equipment is required for this route, though crampons/microspikes can certainly help with snow cover.

Red Tape

No permits are required to enter the Granite Chief Wilderness. You must obtain a campfire permit if you plan to use any flame source (e.g. campfire, portable stove).

Camping in the immediate area does not require a permit.

When to Climb

Granite Chief itself is climbed throughout the year, owing to its proximity to Olympic Valley. The occasional ski tour hits Needle Peak and Lyon Peak in the winter.

Spring, summer, and fall are likewise solid seasons.

External Links

USFS Granite Chief Wilderness page.