Manley Wham Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.25740°N / 120.692°W
Additional Information Route Type: scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd Class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at Manley Wham Campground on Lake Chelan. Either request a ferry dropoff, or row over from Stehekin.

Route Description


The first 500-700' from the lake is the steepest and brushiest oh the first 6,000 of climbing. Head up the ridge staying between the two obvious creek drainages. Don't worry, it wont stay brushy for long. The hillside is devoid of water, but has typical eastern cascades pine trees and fairly minimal brush. At the ~6,000 level, you will find a beautiful cirque to your left, in a valley with flowing water year-round. This valley separates Castle from parts of Flora Mtn and features pleasant meadows for camping. Following the streams to the head of the valley, one will reach a talus-covered pass that separates the Flora and Castle formations and leads down to Castle Creek. From this pass, angle to the right along a 3rd class ridge line for 15-20 minutes to Castle's summit.

Essential Gear


Lots of Water

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.