Mansfield Wash

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.23800°N / 108.718°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the locked gate, start walking southeast on a primitive road. However, you can also head straight across the flats directly towards the mountain if you want. Either way, it really doesn’t matter because the hiking is easy. The road goes through Gore Canyon, and swings around Point 5115 to the left. The Leitendorf Hills will be on your right here. Just past Point 5115, you will reach Pyramid Well in Mansfield Wash. Leave the road here and starting climbing up towards Pyramid Peak.

Pyramid Peak is almost a perfectly symmetrical volcanic cone, so it really doesn’t matter which route you chose. However, the slope was steeper than I had expected, and there were even some small cliffs that we had to bypass. The mountain was bigger up close than it looked from a distance. We climbed up to the west ridge, then turned right and made the final push to the top. This route was more moderate than going straight up. You’ll have some great views from the top because it’s a lot further up there than you might think.


Hiking Distance: About 6 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 1,500’.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.