Manzanita Canyon Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.56990°N / 105.5182°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log


Getting There

From Taos New Mexico, travel north on Route 522 for about 4 miles. Turn
right, heading east, on NM 150 toward the Taos Ski Valley. Follow this
road for about 11 miles watching for the Taos East Condominiums. The
parking area for the Manzanita Canyon trail head is immediately after the
condos on your left.

Route Description

Distance: ~ 8 miles round trip
Elevation Gain: ~ 3900 ft (8200-12115)
Difficulty: Class 1


Trail through the trees

The Manzanita Canyon Trail originates just to the north of the trail head, then turns to the northwest. The trail surface is quite rocky for the first couple hundred feet before it smoothes out and remains smooth and wide for the remainder of the hike. This route is heavily wooded most of the way, but for the most part is very easy to follow except that it crosses over the Yerba Stream several times, you will be doing some rock hopping on this trip. While no part of the hike on the Manzanita Canyon Trail is extreme, You will find it to be a steady strenuous incline most of the way to the top (no rest for the weary). At about 11,500 feet the trail finally emerges from the trees on the Italianos Ridge where you will be afforded your first glimpse of Lobo Peak and the surrounding mountains. Once on the ridge the incline moderates and the remainder of the hike is an easy walk to the summit.
Almost  there

Essential Gear

Basic hiking shoes should be sufficient for this climb as long as there is no snow on the Peak.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Lobo PeakRoutes