Marble Canyon - The Apron

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.84779°N / 121.70277°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

As the name implies, The Apron is the large slabby apron of limestone that sits in front of the main headwall. At the top of the Apron there is a large treed terrace, which separates the Apron from the Headwall.

There are 30-40 climbs on the Apron, and this is where 90% of all the climbing in Marble Canyon takes place.

The guidebook by Lyle Knight titled "Central BC Rock" provides the best information on the climbing here.

It is possible to 4th class to the top of the Apron, but it involves some convoluted route findings - an adventure in itself.

The Routes

GatewayGateway - Another Marble Canyon classic (climber: D. Dunlop, photo: A. Jones)
Sisyphus - This is the most popular route on the Apron, and deservedly so - it's a classic multi-pitch limestone climb, with a bit of everything. Bring a descent size rack (at least one big cam), with more focus on the smaller sizes.

Gateway - This is a one pitch bolted climb, on the right side of the Apron. It's a very obvious beautiful slab. Although bolted, the climbing is still spicy - there's four bolts over 30 metres.

Topo - This is a topo for the Marble Canyon's Apron. I drew this in the 80's sometime, and for a while it was the only topo available for this area. Now Lyle Knight's guidebook "Central BC Rock" is widely available and fairly accurate. Although there are now a few more sport climbs along the bottom of the Apron, this little topo will still help you get by.

Table of Contents
Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.