Viewing: 1-9 of 9
schmid_th

schmid_th - Oct 16, 2006 12:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

What a clear water! Great! This is absolutely intact nature!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 16, 2006 2:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Intact nature?

I'm not so sure about this actually. You are real close to the glaciers on the Stubai Alps Main Ridge and they are in a very desolate condition. Take the picture of the Feuerstein summit. My map (as of 2002) claims there are glaciers underneath the summit, visible from the south (where we were). Go and revisit the picture and see, if you can find a glacier there. Yes, it's in the bottom left corner - what is left of it.

The same is true for the glaciers between Botzer and Hochgewänd. It is still there but if you read guidebooks - they tell you that you can't reach Botzer without stepping on ice. Today you have to make a detour to do so.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Oct 16, 2006 9:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Mein Vater War Einen Wandersmann...

Sehr schoen. Bin neidisch drauf! Wenn i' nur da waere...

Daniel

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 17, 2006 7:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mein Vater War Einen Wandersmann...

Yes, I'm happy to have been there - after all the prejudices against lakes and narrow valleys I had before going there. On the other hand I will have forgotten when I'll go on my next vacation :-)

Koen

Koen - Oct 17, 2006 11:02 am - Voted 10/10

Nice article...

... informative and really nice pictures. I spent some time on the other side of the border, a few years ago, along the Stubaier Höhenweg. Nice too. Now I can add your trip to my 'to do'list... and yes, those glaciers are shrinking very fast, unfortunately. Thank you for the report.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 18, 2006 8:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice article...

Thanks. I think the Stubai Alps are a good (or rather sorry) example for shrinking glaciers because the red rocks reveal so impressively where there were glaciers just a couple of years ago. The rocks are so much brighter where there used to be glaciers.

On the other side of the Eisacktal Valley, in the Zillertal Alps, you have mostly granite which is (almost) the same shade of grey wherever you look. However, there the same problem is evident. This time by the fact that the ski resorts revert to artificial snow right underneath the glaciers.

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Oct 17, 2006 7:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting

I enjoyed reading it. Thanks!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 18, 2006 8:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting

Thanks Vid! Glad you liked it!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Oct 18, 2006 8:24 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Cool story...

Thanks :-)

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Marble in the Lake' main page