Marcadau-Wallon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.80830°N / 0.2378°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble+rocky ridge
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: F+ (Easy sup, I+)
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

see the main page for approach to pont d'Espagne

Route Description

Trailhead: Parking in Pont d'Espagne (1460m)
Slope: 1590m
Time to summit: 5h 15 min (Total 10h). Advisable the night in the refuge Wallon fro the less trained people.

In west direction bordering the lakes we reach the little plain of clot in 20 minutes (don't take the route of lake Gaube and Vignemale in left side). We follow the path without the cross of the river, west and southwest to the Pont of Cayan (1630m) to cross the river to other side. For a path with hard slope we reach another plain to the Pont d'Estalounque (1715m). Follow in SW direction to the confluence with the ravine of Aratille and finally the plain of refuge Wallon (1865m, 2h 15min).
We follow the signals near of the river to get the path of river Marcadau (SW). After the join of path of Panticosa we turn to North direction for a hillside and to West to a little lake (2300m).
The channel go in evident direction to the visible col, it's the col of Facha (2665m, 4h 45min). In the col we turn to south side to get the final rocky ridge to the summit like the route of Respumoso.

Essential Gear

Early in the season is neccesary the use and crampons and ice-axe to reach the col of Facha. In the rocky ridge with some of snow the rope is usefull.
Helmet? like others peaks as Balaitous or Vignemale the fall of stones in the days with a lot of people is dangerous and the helmet is a very good idea but due to the prolonged of these climbs only a few of people take helmet to lighten the weight of the rucksack

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.