Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse

Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.40331°N / 106.12827°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse can be done two ways: Clockwise, from Atlantic to Drift, or Counterclockwise. Counterclockwise the traverse is a fun, loose, easy fifth class scramble with two or more rappels (50m rope required). Traversing the ridge clockwise kicks the heat up a notch, with at least one pitch of fifth class most will want a rope on. The route requires 6-10 hours of the day, depending on group comfort and speed. Come prepared for two to four hours of exposed, extremely loose up and down climbing, all stuck between a lot of talus walking.

Getting There

Follow directions to Mayflower Gulch. Mid-clearance, two wheel drive vehicles can easily make it the additional 1.6 miles into the heart of the basin as of June 2010.

Route Description

Clockwise (5.7)
Begin by hiking the western shoulder of Atlantic to the summit. As you approach, the jagged section of the ridge comes into sharp perspective. As you drop off the summit of Atlantic, pause for a moment to consider your route through the first of five main gendarmes. At the top, contemplate the second gendarme before dropping to the col.

The first gendarme is a non-issue. Scramble around.

Mayflower Gulch Grand Traverse First GendarmeFirst Gendarme


For the second gendarme, a short section of 5.5 and some scrambling tops you out. On the far side, below the summit by about 15-20 feet, are two fixed nuts equalized by some now manky webbing. The rap line looks almost downclimbable. Replace the webbing and rap, or backtrack and scramble down to the right and around to the saddle, just below the end of the rappel. Look up at the rap line . Downclimbable, probably, but not by most.

Second GendarmeSecond Gendarme


The third gendarme. There is potentially a leadable line on the front (north) side, but not something I would solo. I scrambled around to the left and found a mellow line (about 5.5) that is likely avoidable and felt contrived. An easy scramble brought me to the bottom of the fourth gendarme.

Third GendarmeThird Gendarme


After some carefully scrunity, the fourth gendarme will reveal a mellow (5.5 + fourth class) line to the summit. Don't pat yourself on the back just yet, though. Once you top out, ponder your fate that is the fifth gendarme.

Fourth GendarmeFourth Gendarme


The fifth gendarme. It looks steeper and better consolidated than anything else you've scrambled over. Where are the broken blocks with tons of edges for your boots and holds? The holds, on close inspection, all seem to slope away from the wall. The most protectable line looks to be right up the middle of the fin, but it involves a potential roof move. I took an easier-looking but very exposed fifth class face to the right of the fin (5.8? 5.5? I don't want to sandbag you, but I don't feel I can grade this accurately.) This would be a difficult pitch to protect well and being in the shade it was snowy when I climbed it. I climbed diagonally, to the right, until I was able to gain the arete (gaining the arete was the crux), which thankfully gave way to third class talus. An exposed line of the only sustained fifth class climbing on the route.

FifthGendarmRotatedThe Fifth Gendarme


Two or three more gendarmes stand between you and Fletcher, but they pale in comparison to the fifth gendarme, so don't worry about it. Once you summit Fletcher, the only remaining difficulty is accessing the summit of Drift, which involves a short spot of exposed fourth or easy fifth downclimbing.

Counterclockwise
Counterclockwise involves at least two rappels. Bring rap rings, a small passive protection rack, and 30-40' of webbing to replace aging setups.

Essential Gear

Essential is relative, but most people will want a 50m rope, a light alpine rack, climbing shoes and a partner, amongst those other essentials. Snow can hang around in weird places on this route, and a small ice axe could be useful until later in the season.

External Links

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=MGR054-031

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.