Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 10, 2008 4:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: My feelings exactly!

Thank you, Vernon. And that's spot-on about the lesson in humility. The mountains in general do that, but there's nothing like being within charging distance of a grizzly to let you know how small and powerless you really are.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Jun 10, 2008 3:43 pm - Voted 10/10

great article

More than half my students are scared of running into raccoons and such in a state park. I often wonder how they'd handle real wilderness - - they're too scared to go there, but this article really conveys what it's like.

Thanks for posting.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 10, 2008 4:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great article

Thank you, Arthur. It seems people who have never been to the wilderness can never understand it until they do. People I know think I'm crazy to go out with the snakes and the bugs and the bears. I was pretty nervous the first time I went solo backpacking in Shenandoah-- afraid some bloodthirsty bear would rip into my tent. After I saw my first bears, that silliness was gone, replaced by respect, admiration, and, yes, a healthy amount of fear, but not so much as to hinder my enjoyment of the wilderness.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Jun 10, 2008 7:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Well done.

Until you are really there it is difficult to convey the myriad of emotions that wander through one's mind upon entering grizzly country. But as we spend more time in there and less out here it becomes more natural and easier to be there which creates less fear and much more enjoyment in their world. I enjoyed your article as well as the photos.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 11, 2008 10:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well done.

Thanks, Blake. You are exactly right in what you say. It is just so different out there in grizzly country. The only thing for me that's ever compared is one time when I was hiking before dawn in an area of Big Bend National Park where a mountain lion had been active recently. I was alone and in the dark with a headlamp, constantly turning around to deter surprise attacks from behind. I was glad when dawn came.

Thanks for that GNP update, too. I'm glad to see Cut Bank's open. It's the one area of the park I haven't been into before, and I am hoping to spend a day there.

FlatheadNative

FlatheadNative - Jun 11, 2008 10:29 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Well done.

Thanks again Bob.

As far as GNP. Well it was open, but we have been getting dumped on. I will check for you if you want me to.

Imagine snow in the middle of June. They were saying 12 - 24 inches in the GNP region. By Friday it will be in the 70s so we probaby will have some flooding. Never a dull moment in the Rockies.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jun 15, 2008 3:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Grizzly Elation

Bob,

Wonderful article. While my award for Most Frightening Bear Encounter goes to that mama black bear with her two cubs bluff-charging us in the Olympics of Washington, I have never felt so alive than when encountering a pair of grizzes on a river bank in Alaska. I felt at once both scared $hitless and fully alive, crackling with the reality that I without doubt inhabited 2nd place on the Denali food chain.

Cheers,

Sarah

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 16, 2008 3:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Grizzly Elation

Sarah, thank you very much for your comments. I think the title of your post says very well what it's like to see a grizzly. And it's good to know I'm not the only one who's been scared half to death by a black bear.

verdeleone

verdeleone - Jun 15, 2008 6:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Another

beautifully written and insightful essay. Thanks. I grew up on a ranch that ran up against the Bob Marshall country, but never saw a Bear. I haven't made it back to those parts since then, but you make me want to go tomorrow.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 17, 2008 1:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Article

Thanks, Mike. Yes, age and knowledge temper the excitement of being near a bear, but it's still present.

Enjoy Shenandoah. I've been just about everywhere there worth being, many of them several times. Feel free to ask for any suggestions if you're looking for ideas, especially for places that seem to be a little thicker in bears.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 17, 2008 4:37 pm - Voted 10/10

Good stuff!

The griz is the last of the great Pleistocene predators of North America. It's great that we still have them around. I hope to someday see some when I finally make it out west.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 17, 2008 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good stuff!

Thanks, Bob. When you get out there, there are definitely some places that are better than others if you hope to see a grizzly. The Many Glacier area of Glacier N.P., especially along Iceberg Lake Trail, is one. Another is the Absaroka Range in Wyoming; the Kirwin and Brooks Lake areas are prime habitat and are very suited to day hiking. There is always, of course, the chance of seeing them roadside in Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier. There are some spots in Yellowstone that are supposed to be very reliable (around Swan Lake), though I've never seen one there myself. Good luck, in more ways than one!

Jessicahiker

Jessicahiker - Jun 20, 2008 4:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Grizzly

Great job!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jun 20, 2008 5:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Grizzly

Thank you, Jessica!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 15, 2008 5:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Beautiful Article

Thank you. I truly appreciate your comments.

While I'm not reckless or extreme about it, I accept that the bears, wolves, cougars, and so forth were here first and that we should try to adjust to them instead of expecting them to adjust to us and just firing away when they don't. They were here long before I was, and I hope they'll be here long after I'm gone. Disrupting that during my temporary stays in their territory would be a great violation.

Viewing: 1-15 of 15
Return to 'Meeting the Great Bear' main page