Middle Atlas

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 33.56597°N / 3.89284°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 10958 ft / 3340 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Middle Atlas Mountains are obviously the little sister to the High Atlas. However, what they lack in altitude they make up for with Cedar forests and spring-fed rivers. Tazekka National Park and Ifrane National Park have some decently developed hiking trails (Some even have trail markers!). The Sebou River is arguably the most beautiful river in Morocco. Linking up Bou Iblane and Bou Naceur makes for an impressive multi-day expedition. 

 

   

Getting There

Fly into Fes Saiss International Airport (FEZ). From there you can use Grand Taxi's which are an efficient and affordable means of inter-city transport in Morocco to reach various smaller towns from where you will be able to stage your hikes or climbs.

Red Tape

If you are intending to overnight it is advisable to notify the Gendarmerie or the Muqadam (community representative). The Middle Atlas Mountains comprise a large area and there are various national parks and reserves. There are no fees for accessing any of the parks or reserves.

External Links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Atlas

https://www.alpinejournal.org.uk/Contents/Contents_1993_files/AJ%201993%20165-169%20Brown%20Atlas.pdf

https://www.tazekka.com/

http://www.tourisme-dpt-ifrane.ma/parc-difrane-et-pat

Camping

As of 2019, camping in the wild can be unpredictable in Morocco in terms of authorization. If a Moroccan sees a foreigner setting up camp they will probably call their local representative (the Muqadam) who will almost surely come to your site and at the very least, take your details, including a photo of your passport or require you to return with them to camp in the vicinity of their house under a streetlamp. Their intentions are good and they desire only the best security for travelers. It is best to get permission from the Gendarmerie in the closest administrative center to the peak you are attempting. They will probably require you to contract a licensed mountain guide. If you speak Darija, the local dialect of Arabic, you may be able to get permission from the Muqadam (community representative) to camp up in the mountains if you convince them of your competence in the mountains. Most likely they will try to convince you to pitch camp outside their house under a street light for security.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.