Viewing: 1-2 of 2
theflyingmountaineer

theflyingmountaineer - Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm - Voted 9/10

Great page

I've been scheming recently about doing a traverse of the GWD. This page is very informative. Has anyone continued on to Triple Divide Peak? Or even further to link up the Kaweah Group as the southern terminus? When looking at a topo map it appears the Kaweahs form the true southern end of the GWD, before the mountains drop into the Big Arroyo and subsequently the Kern River drainage. The Milestone-Triple Divide and Triple Divide-Kaweahs sections add significant mileage, but to do the complete traverse from Bubbs Creek to Big Arroyo seems fulfilling.

Also, What about Mt. Farquhar at the north end? The peak itself looks straightforward; how about the traverse to North Guard?

The high terrain bordered by Bubbs Creek to the north, Roaring River to the west, Kern River/East Creek to the east and Big Arroyo to the south is some of most pristine and beautiful in the High Sierra, IMHO. I love breaking away from the crowds of the Eastern Sierra to these more remote peaks.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Jun 16, 2014 2:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great page

Thanks I am glad you found the information helpful! Sorry but I don't know much about the details to answer your other questions. I am sure more of the Divide could and has been traversed, but I would be surprised if anyone has done the entire bit. Not even sure anyone else has done these 7 peaks in one go, but perhaps. In the other areas there are greater distances with unnammed peaks in between, or more technical challenges. I think seano did the Kaweahs a year or two ago though.

I agree... the areas back in there are pretty spectacular.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'Great Western Divide Traverse' main page