Mirador grind

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 19.24000°N / 98.43°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike up with class II-III sections
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Getting there is actually pretty straightforward. From Mexico City find your way to TAPO (the major bus terminal to all destinations in the south of Mexico).From TAPO find your way to Texcoco (a 45 minute bus ride) that will run about 14 pesos.

Once you arrive in Texcoco ask for the bus to San Pablo. This is another 45 minute ride and your stop is the very last one. Once you get off the bus there is a road that snakes off up into the hills which you will follow until you encounter the aqueduct. After you encounter the aqueduct follow it all the way until it goes underground. This will take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours depending on your degree of physical fitness as Manantiales in this section is at about 3450m or 11400 feet.

Route Description


From The first clearing, look to the east and quite simply the highest peak you can see is Yeloxochtl. I cross this first section of Manantiales, careful to skirt around the edges as it is boggy in places and one can sink up above their knees if you aren't careful. There is a noticeable valley that the spring flows through, I hike up through here (following the stream) to the next open section of Manantiales. From there I cross due north to the far edge of manantiales and then head east (to the right). Follow the treeline until Telapon comes into view. You will see Mirador Grande's impressive bluffs and rocky summit soon after.

Simply pick a spot, I took the most straightforward line and followed it, altering the course to suit my mood and do some class III scrambling over the 10m high bluffs that dot the mountainside. The summit is to the east (the left) it is an unmistakeable 20m high rock tower. There is a simple scramble up the back and onto the 5X10m wide summit. The views are breathtaking... you can take in most of the valley from here.

The climb should take no more than an hour to an hour and a half as always dependent upon one's level of fitness. Be sure to bring water and plenty of sunscreen as it can get hot up there.

Essential Gear


Sturdy boots, 4-5l of water, sun screen, sun glasses and trekking poles. Thats all folks...

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.