Mittellegi Hut

Page Type Page Type: Hut/Campground
Location Lat/Lon: 46.58560°N / 8.02649°E
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11007 ft / 3355 m

Overview

Eiger videoVideo film about an ascent of the Eiger by the Mittellegigrat. Samuel Brawand tells the story of the first ascent in 1921. Note the Hut.
Eiger. Mittellegi hut. In...The Old Hut.

The Mittellegi Hut at 3355 m is beautifully situated on the knife edge sharp Mittellegigrat 615 m under the summit of the Eiger, the famous Bernese Oberland mountain. The hut offers two of the most breathtaking views in the Alps, to the north side green pastoral landscapes with the village Grindelwald far below, and to the south side massive glaciers and mountains. The Mittellegigrat was first ascended 10 September 1921 by the Japanese Yoko Maki together with the three local guides Fritz Amatter, Samuel Brawand, and Fritz Steuri.

Maki donated a sum of 10.000 Franken for a hut to be built near the place where they spent the night prior to their ascent. The hut built in 1924 had room for 16 persons. A steel pipe bivouac hut was built in 1986 a few meters from the old hut offering room for further 14 persons. In 2001 after 77 years the first Mittellegi Hut was replaced by a new larger hut with 40 beds. The old hut was moved to a location close to the railway station Eigergletscher and now serves as a small museum. Since 1995 the Mittellegi Hut has a resident guardian during July and August. Typically (as in the summer 2003) over 700 climbers stay overnight before making an attempt on the Mittellegigrat the next day.

Getting there and Routes

The Eiger page provides overall information on how to get there. A dark and icy tunnel leads from the Eismeer station at 3160m on Jungfrau railway out to the Fieschergletscher on the south side of the Eiger. Turn left and pass the sérac area and continue up the snow slope along the Challifirn to the rocks. Climb the rocks (III-) to the hut. Allow 2-2½ hours. Beware of stonefall all the way. The hut can also be reached from the north by a longer and more difficult route (D). Other alternatives are via the Bergli Hut or the new Ostegg Hut.

Trip report: Eiger – A trip on the knife edge - TR & Movie

Pictures of the route from the tunnel (by RolandJ, 2007)

View to Eismeer station from ChallifirnSnow melting in streams over the Eismeer windows.
Abseil from EismeerAbseil from the tunnel door below Eismeer station.
Below the Mittellegi HutClimbing the slabs direct to the Mittellegi Hut.

Maps and Books

Mitellegi with old hutThe hut seen from the Mittellegigrat. Photo by alpenkalb.

1:25.000 Nr. 1249, Finsteraarhorn 1:50.000 Nr. 264, Jungfrau Swindin, Les: Bernese Oberland, Selected Climbs, Alpine Club Guide Books, 1993 Munter, Werner und Margrit: Berner Alpen, Rother, München, 1984 Historical books: Eiger 1252-1988, Bergführerverein Grindelwald, 1988. Rubi, Rudolf: Im Tal von Grindelwald, Band II, Verlag Sutter Druck, Grindelwald, 1986.

Google Maps

Show larger map

External Links

http://www.mittellegi.ch/home/mittellegi/

Round the clock live camera:

https://grindelwald.roundshot.co/mittellegihuette/

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Anodin

Anodin - Jun 25, 2019 9:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Mittellegi hut conditions

In 2019, the hut is not open before July and reservations are to be made via phone only (+41 33 853 03 66). Source of info: http://www.mittellegi.ch/home/mittellegi/reservation/

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

EigerHuts & Campgrounds
 
Mittellegi RidgeHuts & Campgrounds